Fly Tying
flyfishingtaz

how do you mount your vise.

On my portable setup (portable as in around my house), I use a 'C' clamp.

On my dedicated fly tying bench I use a pedestal, but with one simple

modification - the pedestal is clamped to the bench with a 'C' clamp

(wookworkers 'C' clamp as opposed to the one supplied with a fly tying vise).

I use and have both. As others have said you never know if when you're on the road your clamp will fit and if'n it don't it makes for a pretty crappy day.

I have a C clamp vise right now that I have had for almost 11 years. I am trying to change over to a Regal with a pedestal base. Like someone else said, C clamps arent always useful and there have been many times when I couldnt tie because I couldnt clamp it to something. Ruins my day!

The main reason I'm asking is due to cramping the vise. I mean, If I had a c-clamp I might be able to fit the other accessories on there easier. Only have a trash bag, and bobin holder, and thats cramping it. Perhaps I can find a longer main stem for the vise also.

I live in a one-bedroom garret apartment where studio work space is a premium; I have a tool kit housed in a felt-lined and hinged wooden box that opens flat. I set it up in my kitchen nook when I tie; I have clamp and pedestal both and use the pedestal almost exclusively.

The main reason I'm asking is due to cramping the vise. I mean, If I had a c-clamp I might be able to fit the other accessories on there easier. Only have a trash bag, and bobbin holder, and that's cramping it. Perhaps I can find a longer main stem for the vise also.

That is why Im changing to the peak base it has a second shaft for the bag, plate and other crap that gets in the way plus it is Huge @ 6 pounds it will stay put!!! Ill just slap my hmh in her and go!!!! Plus Im getting the riser so My height will be more adjustable than a normal pedestal. the peak base is very nice and well designed. I suppose on that note the pikes peak package is the best deal going!!!

post-2608-1173391306_thumb.jpg

I use a C-Clamp and attach it to a prtable tying bench that I made. This way I can move everything off the table when it is time for eat. :blink: (This was my old vise, I have changed to a Griffin rotary)

post-10625-1173392139_thumb.jpg

I have my Griffin A1 in my Dyna King Pro's C-clamp.

I have a collection of bases but only use them when I need to. I just like the solidness of the clamp. The best setup is dnya king's arm that attaches to the c-clamp you can have the vise anywhere you want.

Joe

I prefer to stand when I tie, I sit all day at work in front of a computer, so you get the point...

anyway...

My work bench is same as kitchen counter height, and I clamp a 7 x 9 inch wood box on its side to the bench. Then I clamp my vise to the top of the box. The box is just there to get the vise up another 7 inches, to a better working height. Also this height is also good if I'm sitting on a bar stool.

Also, I much prefer the clamping base.

Anyway that's the way I like to do my tying.

I stood for a long time. It is a very nice way to spend time tying! I kind of miss it but I see my wife more this way!!

I tend to use my Renzetti with a c-clamp most, but sometimes move out of the basement for a change and use a pedstal base. They both work equally as well. Jim