Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mtn

Elk Hair Caddis

OK, I'm having real trouble with this patterns, when ever I tie it the is always "something" missing. Heres on I tied up earlier:

post-4816-1173395515_thumb.jpg

post-4816-1173395541_thumb.jpg

Be honest and let me know what you think, if they are a pile of junk please tell me how to improve them. Thanks.

Looks good to me! I have been tying up a bunch of EHC style flies lately myself. I dunno if it's just me but man! it's amazing how much trouble a simple pattern can give ya!!! lol!!!!

Mike

MTN, your fly looks great.. it will catch you fish for sure.. that being said, IMO I would add a touch more in the wing and maybe use a tiny bit shorter hackle.. just my opinion, I think it would do very well as is.. nice tye .. :cheers:

Looks good and will fish well as is. Here are a few constructive comments.

- If you trim the hackle on the top of the body the wing sit a tad lower and "tent" the body nicely.

- the hackle length is fine, but don't go any longer. Shorter will look nice as well.

- 10/0 mono is good for cross ribbing the hackle but it lacks the flash. If you want flash, midge or micro krystal flash works good for cross ribbing as well. Both options don't add much weight to the fly.

Frank

I like what you have done. A little more wing would be okay, I like to have some with long hackle for skating the fly, so either way works for me. Nice job. :)

Thanks guys, I'll get some more tied up how you all suggested, I think my main problem is the wing.

As far as the wing goes I found that this helps:

Fine elk hair helps with bulk at the head.

To keep the wing/head secure I tie the wing in as you have shown, and make about 6 wraps, tight, tighter, and tightest on the last wrap. The butts should be sticking out over the eye at this point.

Still holding the wing, I wrap through the butt ends working my way towards the eye. This takes about 4 wraps. I stop just shy of the eye, let go of the wing, pull back the butts so I can access the eye area, and finish the head with a few wraps and a whip finish.

Sometimes the butts and the nice tips intermingle so seperate them. Hold the butts forward and trim the butts on the same angle as the eye of the hook.l

Good luck, you'll get it!!

Frank

Hi Elliot,

Frank's advice is good, but sometimes, it can't matter what technique you use, its the materials you are using. Try and get your hands on some yearling elk, as this won't roll as much on the shank as much as older elk will.

Have never bought anything from Chris Helm, though if you want good elk or deer, he's the man to get it from.

Hope this helps

Regards

Chris

P.S

And oh yeah..........I wouldn't use wire at all..........Will just reduce your floatability.

Just tie in your hackle (works primarily with saddles) above the barb, dub your body, and then wind forward. This also stops the hackle splaying, which would happen if you were using a rib to wind through your hackle..........

At the end of the day, its all personal preference

Best Regards

Chris

Yeap I'd just say shorter hackle and a little more wing.

Looks like you have the pattern down pretty good though. B)

You usually want the hackle to be from the shank to the hook point.

I agree with the no wire thing too. I don't use it on mine either.

I think it looks good myself. The top veiw seems to have the right ammount of hair. Start adding more and it will want to roll off the shank.

Try switching to 50 denier gsp for the wing, you can pull tighter without breaking thread and keep the hair where you want it. Another trick is to hold wing in place and cut hair butss flush with front of eye/hook, then tie on wing, works good. I've been told elk hock hair works the best as well. Never tried it yet but thought i'd pass it along.