Fly Tying
NineZeroSeven

Beadhead - Round Robin - experimental :)

Mine should go out tomorrow as well. I need to get them out, because the cats found my stash and luckily I found all the flies close to where I left them, and didn't have to pull any out of their paws or face... :wallbash:

Thanks for the update guys - mail seems to be getting here pretty smoothly lately (ahem...probably due the the fact that FedEx is flying the USPS :D ...) I'll start looking for them early next week. Should be able to turn them around pretty quickly after I get them - next week's not looking too busy so far - ice won't be off most good fishing holes for a few weeks yet. :yahoo:

Got Jereme's CJs today - nice flies! :headbang: The bead is a little bigger than I've used in the past, and the body more substantial. Also, I've never used biots for the wing - usually I use partridge (or ptarmigan, a local substitute.) They look GREAT! - Think I'll start incorporating some of those ideas into my CJs (these things are UNBELIEVABLE for one of the local lakes and the 12-14' 'bows in it... Thanks for the extras!! :yahoo:

Glad you like 'em. Most people out here seem to use the biots, and I use a big bh becasue the water can be high and fast with all the rain we get.

Alright guys - got the last of the flies in the mail today (Great looking flies Pelhament), I splashed them all with Kenai River water (home to 30+" rainbows) for good luck :j_k: , and they're all packed up and ready to ship back out tomorrow morning. Very nice flies from everyone! Thanks for participating, and thanks for the extras! :yahoo: We wrapped this one up in time for ice-out on the local lakes...Thanks guys!

BTW - Jereme and Pelhament, what tricks do you guys use to get those biots in the same place every time? Seems like mine always take several tries to get the thread around them without them coming out one the side of the hook, or misaligned in some way.

Hope I get a chance to meet up with you in the not too distant future. My sister has lived in Kenai for about 30 years. We're trying to plan a trip up there next summer!

For me I pull the biots off the stem and then cross one over the other so they have the exact spacing and length I want. I hold them them in place on the hook with my left hand and make 2 loose wraps over the crossover point, and tighten down. For tail biots I continue to wrap the biot with thread all the way up to the bead then cut off, for the wing biots I try to tighten them down a little more at the tie in spot then clip them off. Hope that makes sense. It was a bitch at first, but like Jereme said a lot of flies used in these parts call for biots. I would say 60% of my nymphs use biots in one form or another.

I like to attach them crossed over each with two loose wraps so that they are spread apart in teh same manor as described above but I also use the loose wrapes to my advantage. I can quickly tie teh biots on and then adjsut them to the length that I like before wrapping the rest of the way up tha shank. I rarely clip them off thos. I just fold them back when I get up to the beadhead and wrap over them. That helps to taper the body of the fly and saves time too. It takes a little practice, but you can get fast at tying flies with them. I usually cut the biots off a whole section of biots so I have a pile. When tying a bunch of these flies the time wasted cutting them off two at a time adds up. Then I can just pick up two and go from there.

I once tied up some early #16 salmonlfy nymphs using the very tip of the biots. Each fly had eight biots (2 tail, 2 head, 4 body) It was tedious, but it made better with biots.

I'm new to tying and just started tying the CJ last night. Would you send or post a pic of the CJ with biot wings. I'd like to see how they are tied on . Thanks, Jeremy