Fly Tying

When I burn mono for eyes, I get a decent looking eye about 50% of the time. Is there any technique to it that will give me a more consistant dark bead. Usually I tie one a piece about 2 1/2 inches longer than I need. Then I set it on fire and blow it out when it is about where I want it. I am using 15 lb test cheap thick line.

It sounds like your using to much mono. If you use to much it gets to hot and hard to control. Try using a piece about 3/4 of an inch long. If you want it dark use a black magic marker on the mono before burning. Hold the eye down while it is cooling. Sometimes it will sag if you don't.

I'm terrible at consistently getting good mono eyes, so after I burn them I dip them in 5-minute epoxy and color them with a Sharpie.

Bill

There are a few ways to do this:

1. Before burning the ends, mark the mono with a black permanent marker. When dry, burn the ends and some of the black is taken up by the mono.

2. Burn the ends, then dip into black nail varnish. If the nail varnish forms a blop on the end, touch the inside if the nail varnish bottle to get rid of the access varnish. Allow to dry. For variation, you can use different color nail varnish.

Enjoy!

Bear with me - although this sounds like a lot of work it makes incredible iridescent mono eyes...

1. determine what diameter mono you want to use

2. take a sample to a craft store - or look through your daughter's craft supplies

3. slide a few glass seed beads on the mono

4. melt the end

5. tip over and flatten the melted end - the bead should slide down.

6. dip the melted end and glass bead into the cement, varnish, or nail polish of your choice.

The picture doesn't do it justice ;)

post-4245-1177376171_thumb.jpg

Worstcaster,

I've moved away from mono eyes for the most part... I do like JJD said with the beads.... I make a nice size tarpon shrimp fly with big eyes and it works great and its quick....and they have glow in the dark beads to WOOHOO but for crabs small shrimp like patterens

I use sewing pins instead... they come in a wide range of colors all different sizes... clip off the lenght you need bend it up tie it on ur done woohoo

Good luck