Fly Tying
ratfacedmcdougal

fly pattern books

I've had Eric Leiser's book of fly patterns for years. It has tons of fly patterns which cover everything from warm to salt water and trout to salmon along with a few hints, tips and pics where needed for the advanced beginner to intermediate or even exspert tyer trying a new fly type. Mine is falling apart now... actually, it fell apart. I went on amazon and was really dissapointed at what's out there now. Everyone seems to specialize, just nymphs, just bream etc. Or they cover techniques for beginners but give almost no patterns. And everything seems to be at least six years old or more. With all of the new materials, patterns etc out there... salmon flies alone have new ones popping up everyday you would think someone with some talent at the typewriter would come up with a good comprehensive pattern book covering at least all of the main stream flies in their various catagories and in which if there is an unusual technique it gives some small illustrations. If there are any good writers / researchers out there we need a good comprehensive pattern book.

And if I missed one like this someone please direct me, I could use one.

Carl,I still have the little book you sent me to get started by Eric Leiser.

I bought a book a while back that is a wealth of info.The Orvis Fly-tying Guide by Tom Rosenbauer.It has everything in it.Cold water,warm,salt,salmon ect...Has a lot of advanced techniques in it old and new.376 pages long.

Hope this helps,Steven

ratfacedmcdougal - There is a book titled "Fish Flies Revised Edition (Hardcover)" written by by Terry Hellekson (Author) that has TONS of fly patterns. The original edition was a two volume set of books broken down into chapters for each species of fish and list the fly patterns alphabetically (total of 832 pages). There are pictures of many of the flies, but not a lot when compared to other recent pattern books. The books are focused on the fly patterns and their construction. They were recently updated and republished as a single volume by Gibbs Smith in July 2005 (ISBN 978-1586856922). Amazon carries the book for $34.00.

If it's trout you're after an excellent pattern book(actually it's a lot more than that) is Essential Trout Flies by

Dave Hughes; I have a large library and this is my go to book when I'm ready to tie. It's got nice tying sequences of the style of fly with alternative recipes as well as short fishing tips for the type of fly. This book can be found by the online sellers for a very favorable price...under 20.00.

Eric's books are awesome; he signed me a copy in 1973 of Flytying Materials at his great shop Fireside Angler. All his books are good.

My go to saltwater fly pattern book is Flies for Saltwater by Dick Stewart and Farrow Allen....excellent!

Also under 20.00.

Happy tying,

Hot Tuna

Thanks for the info guys, i'll look these titles up and see if I can get something together to replace my old worn out books. I think some enterpriseing author should develop a set of encyclopdia like books. First book showing techniques, with volumes 2 through 5 covering patterns of warm water, salt water, trout, and salmon. And... maybe a 6th for unusal flies or maybe variations.

I bought a book a while back that is a wealth of info.The Orvis Fly-tying Guide by Tom Rosenbauer.It has everything in it.Cold water,warm,salt,salmon ect...Has a lot of advanced techniques in it old and new.376 pages long.

Hope this helps,Steven

Thanks Steven, please keep that little book. I have an extra one that Eric sent me. Maybe one day a new tyer will come along that could use it and you could in turn give it to him to get him started ;)

Ratface

Did you ever see the CD Fishing Flies if North America by Farrow Allen and Dick Stewart?

It has a lot of standards. I like it, but I tie in a room away from the computer. I got to tell you, I like my books better, but the CD is really good. I probably have 20 different pattern books.

About four years ago I was fishing the North Mills River near Asheville, NC with a friend. It was November or December and six inches of snow had fallen and it was cold, but we both had taken off from work, and you know a bad day fishing......... We had gone out for lunch to warm up and had just come back to the stream and were putting our gear together when another car pulled up. The guy got out and said hi. He asked about my rod, I fish with a 1960's Orvis bamboo. He had a nice almost yellow colored bamboo rod. Down here, you do not see many people fishing bamboo. He asked how we were doing and we said it had been spotty this morning because of the cold, low water and they had not stocked since the spring. he offered to show us some fish. He said his name was Farrow when he introduced himself. I have fished for forty eight years and on this stretch of river for ten. This guy was better then any guide I have ever seen. I kept looking at him and finally I asked , "Are you farrow Allen and he said yes." He was unbelievable. He spotted so many fish and turned us on to so many inconspicuous hideouts, my friend thought we were being set up for some TV show. Truth is, he knew that river, and just a nice guy. He was so unpretentious.

By the way, are you from the Catskills before TN with that name?

Hope this helps,Steven

Thanks Steven, please keep that little book. I have an extra one that Eric sent me. Maybe one day a new tyer will come along that could use it and you could in turn give it to him to get him started ;)

I think thats an awesome idea.We'll make it like a tradition! :headbang:

Hope this helps,Steven

I think thats an awesome idea.We'll make it like a tradition! :headbang:

Haha,, well, I think people way before us began that tradition long ago but ok :) . There were people who set me up the same way and all i've done is what they did for me a long time ago.

Oh ok.I almost forgot-I have all the flies you sent me in a frame.

Ratface

Did you ever see the CD Fishing Flies if North America by Farrow Allen and Dick Stewart?

It has a lot of standards. I like it, but I tie in a room away from the computer. I got to tell you, I like my books better, but the CD is really good. I probably have 20 different pattern books.

About four years ago I was fishing the North Mills River near Asheville, NC with a friend. It was November or December and six inches of snow had fallen and it was cold, but we both had taken off from work, and you know a bad day fishing......... We had gone out for lunch to warm up and had just come back to the stream and were putting our gear together when another car pulled up. The guy got out and said hi. He asked about my rod, I fish with a 1960's Orvis bamboo. He had a nice almost yellow colored bamboo rod. Down here, you do not see many people fishing bamboo. He asked how we were doing and we said it had been spotty this morning because of the cold, low water and they had not stocked since the spring. he offered to show us some fish. He said his name was Farrow when he introduced himself. I have fished for forty eight years and on this stretch of river for ten. This guy was better then any guide I have ever seen. I kept looking at him and finally I asked , "Are you farrow Allen and he said yes." He was unbelievable. He spotted so many fish and turned us on to so many inconspicuous hideouts, my friend thought we were being set up for some TV show. Truth is, he knew that river, and just a nice guy. He was so unpretentious.

By the way, are you from the Catskills before TN with that name?

I wish I were, I have long admired the Catskills and it's traditions. I'm actually from Florida. I've only been trout fishing a few times... each time when I visited the Smokies. I'm now in the far west part of TN. and it's actually further to the Smokies than when I lived in Florida :dunno:

And I'M STILL in a place where I can't fish for trout because all trout are on the East side of the state!! :wallbash:

But your lucky as a dog,you have Reel Foot Lake really close!I fished the Smokies a few weeks ago and landed some nice trout!