Fly Tying
smokinprice

Painting Poppers

I know there has already been a discussion on how to paint poppers but what I want to know is what people use to paint them. Any thoughts? I would love to hear what everyone out there uses to get an idea of what I should use. Thanks.

On poppers turned with craft foam I use water based acryilics like delta ceramcoat. I first paint them the color I want then if you want sparkle you can use delta sparkle glaze, then for the final coat I use a couple coats of delta interior/exterior gloss varnish. I got this method from Fly Tyer magazine and it has been very effective. The paints are easy to clean up, don't crack, and dry quick.

I use water based acrylic as well. Takes a few coats and they look great. I then put a couple of coats of Sally Hansen's on them. Haven't got into anything too fancy yet but this works for me.

Tim

I turn Balsa poppers, cut a slot, glue in the hook & then colour them with various nail varnishes. I always colour the face red & favour the olives & other darker colours for the Balsa bodies.

I have also used Humbrel model paints which are pretty good,

Wow certainly some different methods out there. I did read the article in Fly Tyer using the craft paint. I use bought some popper paint but maybe I should have waited and used something else. Thanks for the info.

I use fabric paint, bought in the craft isle at Meijer. Any store like Walmart would carry it. 99 cents per tube. It is made for painting stuff on t-shirts and such, so it dries water proof. Works great and you can get a number of different colors cheap.