Fly Tying
indieangler

Fly Fishing Christmas Ornaments

I'm thinking of designing and tying some flys and using them in a part of a homemade Christmas present for friends and family this year. I thought it would be neat if I could find some kind of small display case or plastic that would hold a fly that I could possibly turn into a Christmas ornament for hanging on a Christmas tree.

Might seem a little out there, but anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

There are some craft stores out there (A.C Moores, JoAnne Fabrics..) that sell clear plastic ornaments that split apart so that you can add stuff inside. Problem is that they sell out quickly so if you see them , buy em'.

indieangler

If you tye some big ones you might consider hanging them naked. Just epoxy a gold bead over the hook to prevent injury. (And make sure to include a little tinsel and mistletoe in the pattern...)

Every year I hang 1 or 2 patterns (hook fully exposed....my kids gotta learn someday to be careful) that I call Merry Fishmas! they are my favorite ornaments each year. actually, i caught a brook trout last saturday on one of those patterns!

I've taken clear glass christmas tree balls, taken the tops off and put flies in them. The glass protects the fly and little fingers from getting hooked. The only problem is that you can only fit flies up to about size 10 into them. Otherwise, they look great!

Michaels Craft stores carry the clear glass ornaments in 2 sizes, approx 2" dia and 3"dia respectively. Also I've seen some in Dollar stores- clear ones with some gold and silver designs on the outside.

I think it was Fly Tyer magazine did an article last year on a humming bird that you hang inside a glass christmas ball, I made about 10 of them and gave them to various family and friends and they went over really well. I'll see if I can find the pattern and scan it for you or something it was a super easy tie and looked really neat.

Steve

Ok I can't find the pattern but I think I know where it might be give me a bit and I'll do some hunting and if nothing else I'll just tie one up and add it to the data base.

Steve

Ok indie, I did find the pattern and it wasn't in a magazine it was from another wedsite and I can't get a link to work just right so I'll just tell you how to find it.

Go to www.flyanglersonline.com and click on their fly of the week (top left corner), in the next screen click on the previous flies link (top right corner), i the next screen look under 4th qtr. 2006 heading hummingbird (christmas fly). click that and badbing you got it (really alot easier than I make it sound really your just about 5 or so clicks away from it right now.

Don't be afraid to stray from the pattern though I have tied them with alot of different materials from Guinea, Ringneck Pheasant, Mallard, Wood Duck, Golden Pheasant, Partridge, heck you name it I may have tied one or two with it, as long as it was cheap or I shot it. They are super easy to tie. As for the hooks get the cheapest aberdeens from Wally world you can since your gonna bend them any way and you would be suprised that a #2 aberdeen will fit inside a fairly small glass globe. For the eyes I used bead chain instead of dumbells ince that also lowered the cost dramatically since I can get 6 feet of bead chain for .30 a foot. If you get really gutsy you can try and down size this fly like I did and tie it with a #16 and then get the smallest glass globe you can find, I promise it will turn heads but it will piss you off too the first time a wing falls off when you put it in the globe :crying: . Good luck and post some picks if you can, I'll try and find a couple pf mine from last year and post some of those as well.

Steve

This is what I give to my sisters for christmas. I tie a new one each year to add to the set. I have not tied this years yet.

IPB Image

BFR