Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
VERN-O

Surface Steelie Flies?

Ok.....I've been talking with a buddy of mine who fished around the same time I did last week and we are both thinking we could have taken steelies on a dry or subsurface waking fly (bomber)....If we had them with us.......My question is: Does anyone know of any waking/bomber patterns that do not require spinning deerhair???

Also has anyone here taken a steelie on a dry or waking fly?????

Foam bodied bombers, water walkers, and gurglebugs come to mind. Large Wulff patterns should also work. The Royal Coachman is tied as a steelhead pattern, so I see no reason not to try a Royal Wulff. Don't forget the Bulkley Mouse, Its tied with an extended deer hair wing (like a elk hair caddis would be.) Leave the wing butts long (about 1/4" or 6/16".) Wind the thread forward through the wing butts, and tie off. Trim head underneath. Body on these is optional, I usually leave it out, so its jus the deerhair, which is not spun.

There was just an article in one of the numerous publications that threaten my mailcarrier's health each month (my wife claims I get too many magazines :blink: ). I think it was American Angler, but I'm not sure. I'll try to find the article later tonight.

I've seen several flies that incorporate foam into the body of the fly. Lani Waller converts his traditional waller waker to a foam version by replacing the spun deer hair body with a piece of foam. I think the most inventive one I've seen was in a book (I can't think of the name right now) and a guy used a tube and used zip ties to lash a chunk of foam to a tube!

Having caught some steelhead on a dry fly I don't think the particular pattern is too important but just have something that makes a surface disturbance and that has enough of a hook gape to not hinder hooking. Steelhead aren't very good at taking dry flies in my opinion, they miss quite a bit.

There are several Steelhead Bee flies out there that work pretty well as skaters, I raised a steelie on Saturday using a deer hair caddis (the pattern from shewey's book) but he missed the fly, and I switched to a small wet right after and was unable to trigger the strike. Skating can be very effective, the spun deer hail flies are great because they are so buoyant in really broken water, and remember they don't have to be all that great to still get strikes, my spun deer hair flies look like garbage, but they fish :)

Actually, the magazine is Fly Fisherman, Sept 07. The article is called Skating for Steelhead, by John J. Larison.

The article includes the following recipe for the Foam Waller Waker:

Hook: #4-8 Tiemco 7989

Thread: Chartreuse 140 or 210 Ultra thread

Tail: moose mane

Underbody: Chartreuse thread

Wing: Chartreuse calf tail, split and posted to lean forward at 45 degrees

Foam: 6mm closed cell foam cut to 6mm wide and attached to the hook front and back with clear mono

Throat: moose mane extending to the hook point

I just use a HUGE dry fly without wing; just hackle. It's basically a Variant. Try to get bout 6 hackles wraped on it, with a dozen turns with each. The idea is simply to hackle the hell out of it. Tye them on a Salmon hook, size 4, or 6 or 2.....anywhere in there. Use synthetic dubbing OR use floatant instead of wax if you wanna use natural dubbing, and LOTS of it. Put it on the thread and on your fingers when dubbin'. Don't get to crazy but saturate the body. Make your tail(s) good and thick as well. There's absolutelly no need for a wing. Do rib the body(ies) though. A little flash never hurts. Florescent thread/heads can't hurt either. You can, also make the bodies out of various tinsels as well. Try it, you might like it. :D mark..... B)

Boyzzzzzzzz.......I think I have found my new mission in fishin.....this time it's personal.....I've gotta skate and date with some steel!!!!

Boyzzzzzzzz.......I think I have found my new mission in fishin.....this time it's personal.....I've gotta skate and date with some steel!!!!

Its the ONLY way to go, its the adrenaline rush equivalent of B.A.S.E. jumping.

BTW,spinning deer hair is not that hard, Spinning Tutorial

I just haven't found the time to try spinning......I've been reading the article in Hatches by Chris Helms........thanks for the link too!!!

Trimming is probably the most difficult part but having the right tools does make a difference. Anvil scissors are my favorite for the job.

Bruce is right.....the trimming is much harder than the spinning. Make sure you use a double, (NOT single) edge razor blade, when doin' the blade work. And Anvil Scissors are very good, it's true. "Go slow" is good advice as well. mark..... p.s. personally, i HATE the mess..... B) OH! and Chris Helms is as good as they get.....and a super nice guy.....