Fly Tying
oatka

Guys, Flies & Pies: Review of Nov 3rd Meeting

I used to drive an hour and a half to a Dick's spoting goods store the first and third thursday of every month to a thing just like what your doing and loved it but with gas prices, and 2 kids, and a house I just can't do it any more so I thought after your first post. "Hey why can't I do that??" My problem has been finding the guys that tie in my area, I know they're here but just have trouble finding them since the closest trout stream is 4 hours away. So when I get off of work a 0700 I just run to the lakes close by and try and catch a couple of them hitting the bluegill and crappie or just befor I come to work I do the same thing. I've been really surprised at some of the responses I have gotten, I can just see the twinkle in their eyes when I tell them I want to get a tying club together. I tend to get some really interesting responses when I even bump into people while I fly fish, they can't believe that a 25yr. old "kid" with tatoos all down his left arm and a scruffy looking beard is a fly fisherman, and has been doing it for over 15yrs. some people don't take me seriously and some are just happy to see they are not the only crazy one!!! Again thanks and look out now there is a charter club from the original.

Steve

Steve - I hold the meetings at my house, out of convenience. I have a wife and 4 kids, and it's easier to host than it could be to leave for a few hours every month. I've been the ONLY guy that i think has been to EVERY one. Once we held it at another guys house, because he had air conditioning.

yeah, my wife was surprised that all the guys she had never met where young. She expected everyone to be old gray haired guys, not us young and handsome men (as you can all see in the pictures! B) )

I started a few months in simplifying how much to have everyone pay for pizza by just saying everyone pays $5, and any extra goes towards materials. we often do instructional since many guys are new, and that extra money (which there has been none yet....we like our pizza) goes towards materials.

Time to set the date for December! gotta get it in early so the holiday stuff doesn't get in the way. i'm hoping to make it 12 months in a row, before I have to skip a month for whatever reason!

NEW PICTURES ADDED!!!

I got the rest of the pictures to upload. Go back to the original post to see the photographs my dad took of the realistic flies that Graham has tied!!!

[mnorton - I hope to do this again next year, and include forum members. I'll keep you in mind (and remind me) and hopefully you can join us. Of course, i wanted to open this up to everyone, but my house isn't as huge as it might have to be. we could accomidate about 20 guys total, we had 11 show up, but should have had 15 based on what a few others had said. as far as the hats, those were made by a members wife, and she surprised us with them. They are $23 a piece, just to cover cost, no profit to her. I'm sure, for the right price she'd send you one!

Oatka sounds good.If I remember your in Rochester and my wife has friends in Rochester so she cold go there and I could go tie flies.....That is cool that one of the guys wife made those hats for you guys......

will keep the event in the back of me head for next years event

mike :D

I had a GREAT time, met some cool and interesting fly-guys and look forward to next year. Thank you Oatka for puting together such a fun evening. Since some of us had fished hard all day, no food since the night before, a concern about enough to eat was mentioned on the drive over, lol, but we all left stuffed full of some of the best pizza and wings ever. It really was a great evening. I'm still amazed how well Twofingerz spins deer hair flies considering the short amount of time he's been tying. Very inspirational, on so many levels, thanks again Oatka!!!

Graham

Wow, that looks like an awesome time!

I have to get something similar going at my place here in Madison. From other pasttimes, I know the inspiration and energy you can get from others.

thanks for the compliment Graham. it was a pretty cool time. i was a nervous about tying in front of you guys but then Alex gave me a nice pattern he tied up so i had had to bite the bullet. my next project is doing a little something with the deer patch Brent gave me. i owe him a couple. Great group. THANKS TO ALL.

thanks for the compliment Graham. it was a pretty cool time. i was a nervous about tying in front of you guys but then Alex gave me a nice pattern he tied up so i had had to bite the bullet. my next project is doing a little something with the deer patch Brent gave me. i owe him a couple. Great group. THANKS TO ALL.

Two - I think we all owe Brent! he was great to have with us. I told my wife just last night "I want a hook box like Brents! I was grateful he helped out some of the new guys that night. One wants to tie more stone flies because of Brent! of course, hopefully stone flies will work where he's moving in Texas!

I'm glad everyone had a good time!

madkasel - definitely start something. It's been great fun!