Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ray309

Scotchgard

I read an article that claimed it was a good idea to spray your dries with scothchgard so they will float longer. Has anyone tried this?

I have a frined that swears by it but I as of yet have not tried it... that being said I can see how it would work, and rather well at that.

Steve

I've tried it years ago. It didn't end well . . .Lots of 'glue' action was going on. Stuck together a bunch of the fibers and wouldn't let go. If you'd like to make them float longer, use a product like Watershed or equivalent. Or just use floatant before you get the fly wet.

I was recommended to use "Water Shed" and it is supposed to be permanent and not greasy. I have some to try, but have not been fishing because I have so many jigs to tie lately. You use it before you use the fly and it will help so I am told.

Skip

It works great.....the trick is to spray it on freshly tied flies.....get an old scrap piece of plywood or even heavy cardboard....glue down some 2mm foam strips and use a razor to cut slits in the foam....place the flies in the foam slits about an inch apart....heres the key! hold the can about 3 ft away and just spray them lightly....one or two quick passes.....don't drown or soak them.....just a quick mist over them....let them dry thouroughly before handling them......best to take a couple of old beater flies and pratice the technique 1st rather than ruining several doz good flies......if ya keep it light...it works great! :D

Never tried Scotchguard but I will swear by Rain-X. You can pick up the small "travel" bottle and Walmart and Target for like $2.00 and it's enough for hundreds if not thousands of flies....

Might have to try the Scotchguard trick if I ever run out of Rain-X

Josh

Hi Josh;

How do you use rain-x? do you saturate the fly then let dry??

Tried scotchguard once and now know why it didn't work, I saturated the flies with it the day before and they sunk like a rock!

Thanks in advance

Wayneb

rain-x is the way to go bro. i use a empty chew can, fill it with a little rain-x and soak the fly. After that i stick it some foam i have stuck to the wall to let dry for 24 hours.

Stuff works very well and no oder or oily discharge in the water. dry fly floatant is mainly just liquid silicon i do beleive...about all rain-x is as well.-Jason

Btw...take a cannon to sink the sucker it seems lol.

got this fly tying book for x-mas and in there is says to use scothguard for dries too. I still wouldn't tho because of what I read here. I just apply aquel floatant. I used my bottle all summer and its still basically full! permanently sounds good tho! might have to try the rain-x tho! so you just dip your fly in till completely covered in the chew can? or do you let it sit for awhile? oh ya and any basic chew can flavor? jk lol

the only thing you need, permanently waterproofs...all natural

Wow I though I was the only one who still had Jack's. I think I am down to my last 15 or so bottles but everyone seem so hooked on Gink they do not even try it.

Joe Fox