Fly Tying
Vito1

Northern MI river in January

It was a very busy fall for me and I didn't make it out much to fish or photograph. I was finally able to get out for a half day with my brother but didn't take many photos as I left my "good" camera at home. I always carry a small point and shoot digital I like to call my "fishing camera" I use while wading. I'd like to share a few of the photos I did take while enjoying a peacefuly day in the north woods.

The river on our walk in.

IPB Image

I enjoy character photos as they make for good memories for me when looking back. Looking at this photo of my brother will always remind me of the snow covered, 16 degree day we chose to play instead of work.

IPB Image

Nothing better to me than a bright steelhead with a snow covered background. This is a fish my brother and I will never forget as it cleared the water 6 times (very uncommon of a steelhead in January here because of the cold water temps) and nearly found the wood on multiple tries. It was one of those fish we sat in the snow and laughed about with excitement while trying to warm our hands after dipping them in the 34 degree water.

IPB Image

Matt

Great pix Vito - God, what a gorgeous fish! Looks like it was well worth dodging a few responsiblities to get out on the water. Come to think of it, it's always worth it.

Great shots and even nicer fish Matt..

I made it up to the great lakes one winter near Erie PA in the mid 90's for some steel..Unfortunately the rivers were all blown out at that time and the fishing was off.. Thanks for sharing your pics..

Great shots and even nicer fish Matt..

I made it up to the great lakes one winter near Erie PA in the mid 90's for some steel..Unfortunately the rivers were all blown out at that time and the fishing was off.. Thanks for sharing your pics..

The PA tribs? That's not real steelhead fishing. :o :D No one take offense to that...I'm just kidding. I'm sure the PNW guys would say the same about all GL steelhead tribs. The particular river I was fishing receives no planted fish (except for a few strays) and the fish are wild and bigger. Just not as many around like the PA tribs so you have to work a little harder.