Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
popeye

NOOB (San Diego, CA transplanted native Hoosier)

Another NOOB introducing himself. I currently live in San Diego, CA where I've been since I joined the Navy and moved here in '68 (I was born in Richmond, Indiana in '49 and lived there exclusively until '68). I am retiring from my government position this July 3rd and am going to be dividing my time between So CA and Northwestern Indiana (I bought a 2 1/2 acre mini-farm in Brook, Indiana about 100 miles southeast of Chicago). I intend to FISH, FISH, and then FISH some more and have bought 7 new rods and reels and a ton of lures and tackle boxes for bass, walleye, catfish, crappie, pike, and maybe even a musky if I'm lucky. Included in those new rod/reel combos are 2 fly rod/reel setups for bass/crappie/pike/trout - whatever. Now I want to learn how to tie my own poppers and flys so I bought a D-K Barracuda and a bunch of fly tying supplies and am going to get started very soon (I've already been watching the available video streams on this fantastic site). Hope to have the best of both worlds when I retire: midwest fishing March - September and So CA fishing when the snow and temperatures start falling. We have numerous great lakes to fish in here in So CA, but I really like and prefer the smaller lakes and farm ponds of "back home":o) I tried saltwater fishing several times and didn't care for it much:o(

Super glad I found this site and hope to learn a lot (actually, I already have!!).

Popeye

Welcome, Popeye. There's a LOT of information here, lots of really great folks to help, and a lot of ideas. Don't be bashful about asking questions, everyone here started in the same spot. Looking forward to seeing some of your work as you progress.

A Hoosier hello popeye. I went to bootcamp at MCRD in San Diego. It was some time ago, but the memories of San Diego were not that great! After MCRD they sent me to Marine Corps Base Hawaii. A lot better memories there.

I am from Rochester. It's about 40 miles straight south of South Bend. Plenty of lakes in the surrounding area. Plus, we got the St. Joeseph river in South Bend. Oh, we have a nice musky lake nearby in North Webster, Indiana. You might have to check it out.

Brook is approximately 70 miles southeast of Rochester. So, it's not all that far.

Since your Navy, I will not hold that against ya.

welcome to the sight!!

Enjoy

I also live in So. Cal. and have a time share in Oceanside,

maybe we could hook up some time.

Justin