Fly Tying
tubetyer

Fine Yak hair

There are two kinds of Yak hair, the outer crinkly stuff which is sold as Saltwater Yak and the fine inner hair which is called "Fine Yak Hair" unfortunately The fine stuff seems to have dried up here in the States. Does anybody have a clue who may have this fine hair in different colors, Thanks in advance

Its funny because I perfer the Saltwater coarse stuff and lately all I can find is the fine....

Unfortunately its a pack by pack basis just have to look at it like you would a bucktail.

Try www.packriveryaks.com I did a story on the Yak hair market in North America....more like a piece on using yak hair that included the North American Yak Farmers. These folks sell raw undercoat as well as spun fibres. The long saltwater hair comes from China and I have found it in large bolts/bundles on E-Bay, white and in need of dying.

Try Thornes in Canada; they sell many kinds of hair and fur. Here's a link to their yak, Thornes Manufacturing Yak Hair. If they don't list what you want, ask. Ray

The Yak hair sold by Thornes comes from Hareline and is quite coarse.

One essentially gets Yak hair in body hair or tail hair. Body hair is generally finer than tail hair.

Both of this can be obtained in single drawn or double drawn varieties - it simply means sorted.

Double drawn are nicer hair to wortk with, albeit slightly more expensive.

I search endlessly and bought numerous yak hair bundles from a variety of suppliers around the

world including the US. The results were disappointing in that it was all quite coarse, crinkly and stiff.

I then found somebody in China who was willing to give a helping hand.

You can read the story here on another forum. I ordered about 7 pounds of the stuff and it is the BEST Yak hair I have ever seen.

Softer, finer and whiter in colour than available in fly shops. It arrived perfectly bundled and packaged.

Good luck!

I ordered about 7 pounds of the stuff and it is the BEST Yak hair I have ever seen.

Wiets,

When are you doing this again now that you've got the contacts, I'd like to sign up for several pounds! :)

Ray

Now that is a serious fly tying material story!!!! nice work

Wiets, When are you doing this again now that you've got the contacts, I'd like to sign up for several pounds! :) Ray

I've ordered more since that purchase and I now sell the stuff. I currently have about 32 pound in stock but 27 pound is accounted for. My next shipment will arrive in about 3 months from now. If you are serious about buying some of this hair at a keen price send me a personal message. Be assured that this is the best Yak hair available - the hair is straight, fine and soft. As mentioned above in this thread, the hair is similar to Polar Bear hair - except much longer. Fly shops are all amazed at this quality. Finally, the Yaks continue to live and are not slaughtered!

Finally, the Yaks continue to live and are not slaughtered!

Wiets,

I sent you a PM.

As to the statement above, that makes so much more sense when it comes to harvesting materials. The other option, killing the animal, is like killing the goose that laid the golden egg in the fairy tale. We shear sheep for wool and milk cows for milk; why not pluck a few feathers and shear a yak?.

Thanks!!

Ray

Here are some photo's of the Yak hair I mention in this thread (it will save you jumping all over the web).

You will not find a similar quality Yak hair anywhere else.

The flyshops I sell to is quite amazed at the quality!

This hair is fine, straight, subtle and whiter (no bleaching) than found elsewhere!

Send me a personal message if interested.

IPB Image

IPB Image