Fly Tying
Salmo22

Hook Storage Boxes

I decided to forgo all the trouble of labels and storage systems

and just empty my hooks onto the floor below my tying station,

hunting for them with a magnet when required (they always end

up there anyway, storage system or not)

It gives me a nice sense of achievement, knowing I cut out the middle man.

:hyst:

I finally got back around to posting another reply in this thread. I took a picture of my hook storage boxes a few years ago fro a similar thread and finally found it.

post-1597-1202591492_thumb.jpg

Those are also made by Craftmate, and are the single version (7 containers). The one I posted earlier is the double version (14 containers, effectively two of these joined).

Either way, they are good containers (including individual lids and rounded bottoms for sliding hooks out). If space is an issue--as in a travel kit--I'd want something smaller.

Back when I started tying, Thomas & Thomas used to put out a big mail order catalog. One of the things they used to sell was these little plastic boxes with drawers for hook storage. The boxes interlocked on four sides with dovetail joints. The price was very reasonable; something like $2 for twenty boxes. I bought a few dozen and epoxied them all together. Then I bought a bunch of small screw eyes from a luremaking supplier to use as drawer pulls. I've been using this arrangement for over 25 years. Works great for me.

IPB Image

I just use the mouths of my wife's cats. Dubbing and hooks in the same place. Just hard to catch sometimes.... :j_k:

My wife bought me a Craftstor bead storage system that has a separate tray where I store the hooks.

I just bought some more of the craftmates boxes. They sell them at hobby lobby for 3.99 for the 14 compartment box. The only problem with them I have found is the small hooks have a tendency to escape the lids. What I did was buy some adhesive back magnet tape. I cut it to size and lay it in the bottom of the compartment, hooks stay put.

john

The Craftstor box has a lid with little channels that fit over the walls of each compartment and it also has lid clamps to keep the lid on. If I had my camera, I'd post a picture, but the camera is out of town for the weekend.

I keep all my hooks in one drawer in my tying bench. The drawer has three divisions wet,dry,and oddball. I keep the hooks in their respective little pouches so I can tell length,weight etc. I clip like hook pouches of different sizes together with metal clothes pins. Sometimes I have several different brands of the same hook in different sizes and the clothes pins work great for keeping the hooks sorted by type.

This is what I use to keep hooks and beads. They're modular so you can add and remove more/less to your liking. A 10pack costs $2.54. They do the job fine enough, especially for beads and hooks. I also use them to store my electronic parts such as screws, LEDs and resistors. Great bargain I guess. I glue rare earth magnets ($1.99/20pcs) to the bottom for storing hooks, picking out what i need with tweezers as I think handling hooks too often may lead to premature corrosion from the moisture and oils on our fingers (heard that somewhere).

Regards

Azad

IPB Image

Stonfo magnetic fly hook boxes are now available in the use through Hareline Dubbing company. i've bought four of them to hold the majority of the hook sizes I use. here is a link to hareline cataloge:

http://www.hareline.com/pdfs/HarelineConsumer2008catalog.pdf

I've also found a plastic box that is produced from Meiho products that have individual looking compartment with clasps but don't knpow the modle number. I research and psot later.

Tak