Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
The Goat

Soft hackle PT

Oh no, this is my No 1 wet fly. :bugeyes: :) :P :P :P

Very good fly to fishing. I tie it with gold head too and snipe or enother brown hackle.

Go fishing with this fly. :)

Paul

Dumb question here.

How do you determine the length of the hackle to be used on a soft hackle fly?

Haha. You know, I have no idea. I just tie what looks good to me. With this type of hackle, that length looks good wet.

Great looking fly,and i'm with the others on it should be a fish getter... let us know how it does in that area. By the way, what did you use for ribbing? It looks like Peacock or condor quill?

Ribbing? Not sure what you mean. The body's just pheasant tail (tan) with fine wire counter-wrap for durability.

Ah! I'm not one of those "All natural" types. Hell, I'd shove some foam in there somewhere if the tungsten bead didn't make that counter-productive. :lol:

I'll give ya a report this weekend. Gonna try it out on Saturday.

Actually Goat, you have THE idea. You gave THE BEST! answer there is. "What looks good." CASE CLOSED! THAT is the ONLY answer that is pertinant. The only answer that has any true validity at all. Of course while it's all in the eye of the beholder........including the fish.......what floats YOUR boat is all the really matters. If YOUR happy wiff it. "Everything is cool." Cause ONLY you know what it takes to make you happy. You dig? later, mark..... B)

Great looking fly!!! I still have a lot to learn about soft hackles. I didn't really know the right length of the hackle either, but if you guys say that what ever looks good to me is O.K. then I guess that I only need to cut about half of mine off the hook and try again :D

Take Care,