Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stevemcn

Tie Fest 2008

I saw this on another site. Anybody else going? The attached flyer lists Lefty Kreh as the special guest:

CCA_TieFest_2__3.pdf

Tie Fest 2008

www.tiefest.com

February 16th

Time: 10AM to 6pm

Kent Island Yacht Club

117 Yacht Club Drive

Chester, MD 21619

Tie Fest is a grassroots effort to further the sport of fly fishing. We gather as equals to teach and to learn. Over the past seven years, Tie Fest has grown from eight men to hundreds of like minded individuals. This year shall prove to be bigger and better than ever.

This year we are proud to the support the Maryland Artificial Reef Initiative with a silent auction and various raffles.

Various attractions and sponsors are listed below:

Coastal Conservation Association Kent Island Chapter

Winchester Creek Outfitters

TidalFish.com

St Croix Rods with special guest Joe Cap

Gloomis Rods

The Evening Rise Fly Shop

Temple Fork Rods

Sage Rods

Shore Tackle and Custom Rods

Boatyard Bar and Grill

Saltwater Fly Anglers of Delaware

Mid-Atlantic Fly Anglers

Addictive Fly Fishing.com

Grauer’s Fine Fly Tackle

Project Healing Waters

Special Casting Seminars Provide Free of Charge by Mid-Atlantic Fly Anglers. Times for Casting Instruction:

1st Session 12:30

2nd Session 2:30 *Please bring your own fly rod if you wish to participate in the seminar!!!!

Guides: Capt Gary Neitzey Captain Harry Huelsbeck, Brian Horsley, Sarah Gardner, Dave Rohde and many more

Tiers: Brad Buzzi, Steve Silverio, Bob Popovics, Steve Farrar, Doug Errett, Jon Pund, Tony Friedrich and many more

Food and Drink: Provided by the Kent Island Yacht Club for a small fee.

Entry Fee: Tie Fest has and shall always be free and open to the public

Hope to see many of you there!

Ernie

Hello Stevemcn

This is a great show, and all for a very good cause. There are quite a few local tiers that attend as well, many guides from the DELMARVA area are there in addition to local clubs. This year, the show will be at the Kent Narrows Yacht Club, and it promises to be the best one yet.

I'll be there. I'm one of the not so famous tyers that will be there. I'll be tying warm water patterns to add a little variety. I'll be wearing a yellow South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers hat.

Hi All;

I attended the tiefest Saturday and was pleasently suprised!

Lefty Kreh was there and attracted his usual large crowd.

Bob Popovics was very down to earth and I learned a lot from watching him, He did an excellent job demonstrating different thread control methods and thier affect on how material laid out on the hook. He went into depth on how to get material to lay on the hook in various shapes and angles via thread manipulation. I was especaily impressed with his demonstration on how to flare material horizontally on a hook. He also demonstrated tuff-fly, an interesting UV light set hard head material.

I also spent a lot of time watching Brad Buzzi tie crease flies. He showed a lot of detail on the ins and outs of how to properly tie this pattern.

I also met Philly, forgot to introduce myself but spent a lot of time examining some of his foam flies on display, Philly I was the guy who took pictures of your box of flies. I also want to thank Philly for demonstrating how to re-attach the Danvise jaws in a straight manner, never realised how easy it was!

I also learned a lot about tying Puglsi style baitfish patterns from Richard Tillman, how to keep the material thin and get it to flare out up and down. He even gave me one of his flies as a souvenier!

Definetly a fun trip, very laid back and very informative!

Waynebh

I also want to thank Philly for demonstrating how to re-attach the Danvise jaws in a straight manner, never realised how easy it was!

:huh: huh? got pictures?

Hi Oatka;

I don't have pictures of the Danvise conversion but it's fairly simple. Remove the two screws that attach the jaws and angular jaw adapter to vise shaft. Insert the jaws into the vise shaft, the adjusting arm fits into circular hole in back of shaft and the jaws fit into slot left by angular base. Then slip an o-ring over jaws and shaft to keep jaws in place. If you want I can look in my o-ring Kit and find out what size I used.

I imagine the jaws could be drilled and tapped for the thunb screw supplied but I didn't find it necessary, I tied several furled chennille worms yesterday evening and it held fine. Even when appying hackle using the rotary function it felt secure.

Waynebh