Fly Tying
Lance Kekel

Spinning Deer Hair

I can tye Deer hair bass bugs on my Norvise without any Difficulty. Here's what I did. Go to the hardware store and buy some of those soft rubber deallys that you put under furniture to keep it from sliding around and on some of my student vises I bought some of that rubberized matting (ooks like rubberized Cheesecloth. and set the vise/tying board on that . it really takes quite an effort to move the vise while tying that way. The other thing that I've gone to is the new jaw setup. It is the same old cam style midge jaws with the newly designed "neck" which is adjustable. I don't have any problems with these jaws holding hooks of any size that I tye which is up to a 5/0

Wait... I am confused.

At first you said that switching to a C clamp resolved your issues, then in your second post you said;

"I can't get the jaws on my Renzetti to clamp down hard enough to keep the hook stable on anything bigger than a size 4. "

If you can not get the jaws to hold the hook then no base in the world is going to solve that issue.

So just for clarification, is the problem the weight of the base when spinning or securing the hair or is the problem the vise not holding the hook? Or both?

I have the Nor-Vise and have NEVER had an issue with either.

Josh

I've read several authorities who recommend either a c-clamp or a very heavy pedestal for spinning deer hair. Quite frankly, I've never understood the problem, as I have always spun and stacked deer hair on pedestal vises, some of which did not have particularly large or heavy bases, and haven't had problems to speak of. Maybe it's because I've made it a habit (that I don't even think about) to help stabilize the vise with my left hand? Anyway, for me, the key is simply to insist on a vise that holds large hooks really securely. I currently use an HMH Standard pedestal vise and it holds large hooks like. . . well, like a vise. :P

-- Mike

My problems are actually two fold.

The Renzetti won't reliably hold the hooks that are heavier wire in #2 or larger. I have to hold the hook upright while pulling on my thread and hope I don't slip. Otherwise the vise get's tippy when I'm tugging on the thread. I can actually spin deer hair quite well on it if I stick to size 4 or smaller hooks.

As far as my Nor goes, I hadn't actually tried it on the really large deer hair stuff yet. Those that had the Nors in my class, while they really liked them didn't think they were adequate for this. And they had actually tried theirs on deer hair stuff. With such a resounding set of opinions from fans of the vise I pretty much took them at face value. My Nor has the standard jaws that come with it.(2 yrs old.) So you get those to hold the large hooks just fine?? Base size won't be a problem as I've got a new base almost finished, It's 13"x23" and made of oak. Putting rubber pads on all four corners as well as the middle.

The part where I thought I might have solved the C clamp issue was only geared towwards the future vise purchase not requiring a pedestal mount. Didn't mean to confuse the issue. ;) I'm going to stick my old Thompon with the C Clamp on the wing to see how stable it is.

Another vote for the Peak. :headbang:

I like to spin deer hair bass bugs and

it has never moved. That base is stable and heavy.

tight lines and heavy creels

-Tom

I do what longears suggested with my NorVise:

got some of that 'rubberized' material they use for lining drawers with

it's non slippery and has lots of 'holes' in it and put it under the base for

your NorVise and it will not move at all.

You could also drill some holes in your desktop and put the NorVise and bobbin holder in permanently - that way you wouldn't lose your drawer

space under it.

The NorVise works great, sometimes you just gotta think outside the box.

Good luck and let us know what you do to fix the problems.

have fun,

George

I have used many vises over the years, the Renzetti are my favorites since the early 1990's.

When using larger hooks and deer hair,,,,the absolute best is the DynaKing vises with the grooved jaws. You can lift up the table with a C-clamp DynaKing. I have a Professional and Baracuda model with the large C-clamp option.

I also have the Norlander vise and it is very nice however, not for deer hair work.

DynaKing are availble from $100+ to $400-$500 price range, they all have the standard jaws with hook grooves,,,,,excellent design for H.D. tying.

Regards,

FK

Well. it looks like I was all worked up for nothing. I got my new base for my Nor-vise together and stuck one of the big old 2/0 hardened/polished hooks in the jaws and it was like it had a DEATH GRIP on it! :flex: I also put the rubber feet on the base and it's not moving one bit.

While I'm disappointed I cant justify another vise right now. I feel good that my first choice is working out ok! Maybe I can get a new vise for my daughters birthday and give her my Traveler. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the suggestions!!