Fly Tying
netabrookie

Another Wood Duck Question

Other than the flank feathers for Gordons and such, what are some uses for the rest of the feathers?

Thanks, and Take Care

Another fairly common use would be the small white, white/mottled feathers, lower neck, breast area I think? (all my birds are in pieces :D ) for splayed wings, the natural curve, and spade shape on these make them ideal.

I'm sure there are more just an obvious one, as well as use your imagination type uses...

Thanks for the reply C.C Waters, I was thinking something like that. I am going to try some of the darker feathers for soft hackles. I think the quills will be great for wets, but I still stink at them. I have been practicing with chicken quills (I have a ton of them) so that I dont waste my good ones. Someone please correct me if I'm barking up the wrong tree :D

Take Care,

There's patterns that use the lemon colored flank feathers for tailing and wing cases too. Check out a WD-40.

Mike

Thanks Mike/maddog48, I have found that it pays to go to my private pond with a 4wt and a 12 gauge :D

Take Care,

For soft-hackle flies you may also want to try the wing coverts. These are the smaller, more symmetric feathers along the leading edges of the wings and the adjacent areas on top and bottom.

(The smallest, most useful coverts will be found in the area of the knuckle- the bend.)