Fly Tying
oatka

Flies with Stretch Magic

My wife picked up some Stretch Magic for me at the craft store today. This is solid round stuff. I kinda like how tubing will lay flat, this does not since it's solid and round. It does however still work well for some flies.

The product:

IPB Image

IPB Image

I don't like how it worked on this stone, but it's ok.

IPB Image

Here are some Day5 Go Caddis'

IPB Image

And the bottom damsel fly used this, the top one I used hollow tubing....larva lace stuff.

IPB Image

The Stretch Magic is about $2.50 for 16 feet.

That's the stuff oatka! Keep experimenting and you'll be shocked at what you can do with it.

Great flies oatka. Really like the Dat5 Go Caddis.

Off to look for this in the UK... May be some time.

Great flies oatka. Really like the Dat5 Go Caddis.

Off to look for this in the UK... May be some time.

Just in case you missed it, there is a link above my flies, to his video of that fly!

Gotcha oatka. Just had a look - thanks.

Looks like a great flu and will be adding some of these to my arsenal. Might need to get another fly box when out shopping...

Dave.

I've actually never fished one, but I doubt Day5 wastes his time tying useless flies!

I might try mine out on some bluegills this year......unless the top water flies are still working!

Oatka,

Did your wife mention if those were the only 2 sizes available? Im thinking this would be perfect for some bonefish flies.

Is 7mm the smallest diameter available? In your opinion, whats the smallest hook size that the 7mm would work for?

I've actually never fished one, but I doubt Day5 wastes his time tying useless flies!

I might try mine out on some bluegills this year......unless the top water flies are still working!

Don't worry if you don't catch anything Oatka - you can always make some bracelets with your leftovers :hyst:

Stretch Magic actually works best using a granny weave. Takes a whole lot more time but excellent results on nymphs and the fly is essentially indestructible. Wrap the hook shank with your preferred color and use the clear tubing. The result is the color of the thread.

For larger flies you can use Pony Bead Lacing. Hard to find but generally available at Hobby Lobby.

Jeez that makes 2 of us!!!