Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rebelred

First Fly in about a year

I picked up this addicting art of fly tying a few years ago. In the midst of starting a new job fresh out of college and getting settled into an entirely new locale, I have had about an 8 month time off from tying. I still consider myself to be a beginner any rate here is the latest from my bench. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Red

post-14471-1206406796_thumb.jpg

The tail could be shorter and the body perhaps a little more tapered. The taper can be achieved by either using a tapered thread base or by adding some lead wire to the front half of the fly.

I typically add a wire wrap to my pheasant tails for both aesthetic purposes and to protect it from unraveling when it gets knocked around fishing. Wrap the wire in the opposite direction of the pheasant tail.

Try teasing out some of the dubbing to give it a leggier look.

Otherwise, you've finished off the head very neatly without crowding it. Something that many have trouble with, myself included.

Nice fly. Welcome back!

CB

rebelred, I too agree that your nymph looks good. Little details like tapered bodies and stuff just comes with practice. As mentioned before, you didn't crowd the head, and that is proubly the biggest mistake that all tyers have to overcome. After an eight month stint away from your tying, you still seem to be heading in the right direction :D They say that absense makes the heart grow fonder.....

Take Care,

Thanks for the compliments. Which would be better for acheiving the taper, using thread or the lead wire?

Thanks

Thanks for the compliments. Which would be better for acheiving the taper, using thread or the lead wire?

Thanks

Fine lead wire. It takes less time, you won't use up all of your thread, it'll make the fly sink and it'll be more consistent from fly to fly.

CB

Looks good Red. When tapering, you could also try flat adhesive sheet lead - you can cut it to whatever width you require and it gives plenty of weight whilst keeping a slim, well profiled fly.

Welcome to this forum. I joined this year and can vouch for there being a huge amount of experience, support and interest in each others' efforts.

Dave.

Rebelred,

Your nymph get a 9, but you score a 4; and that's because you have let 8 months go by with out tying a fly.

Your lucky the fly tying forum police didn't show up, arrest you and throw you in Steeldrifter's basement, and force you to tie flies and wrap rods for 2 months. Don't let it happen again.

Conehead

PS: Welcome back to the darkside