Fly Tying
FlyN4Bass

How to make Foam Popper Bodies

I recently bought a couple of foam popper flys made from glued sheets of foam. I would like to try and make a few on my own. The question is how do you cut out a nice tapered foam popper body? I believe this company uses a drill press in some manner. Any suggestions.

There are actually a few topics on this. These were a hit on the forum last year. I made a bunch my self! It really is a pretty simple process. first you select your foam. Go to walmart or any craft store and get yourself a bunch of sheets of 2mm foam. It is less than a dollar per sheet. Next make a punch. You can buy them but they are really easy to make. Just sharpen the end of a lenght of a pipe of some sort. I used a piece of conduit. Then just punch a bunch of circles out of your foam. Glue up your disks and clamp them together.Next impale your cylinder on something (a nail works) and chuck it in your drill or dremel tool. Then use sandpaper of nail files to shape it in a lathe like fashion till you get the shape you want. Then you can paint them if you like or leave them.

If you do paint them use ceramic acrylic paints. They are waterbased and flexible when dry which makes them durable. Get the sealer and put a coat on. Then overcoat with the desired color. Then put several coats of the "varnish" on. I believe the brand tht has all these that I used is Ceramcoat.

These are great, cheap poppers. I'll post some pictures of the ones I made in a moment.

The Body

IPB Image

A couple finished poppers

IPB Image

IPB Image

I actually caught a decent bass on the black one

I glue sheets of foam together with spray adhesive. I have some punches that I got the ends of them turned downso the fit a 1/2 inch drill. I can then cut out bodies from 1/8 inch to 3/4 inch in any color I want. Get a 1/64th inch drill bit with a drmemel tool and you can drill a hole thru the foam . run the eye of the hook thru that hole and you can control the depth the hook is in the foam. Superglue the body on before you run the foam over the hook.

These are th 1/4 " and 3/4 inch punches.

Crappie

:D You can Go to Michael's and they have all kinds of foam in 2mm and 1/4".

Foam in every Colour that you will need.

Now what I do is Glue 3-1/4" sheets together and then cut your circle out.

After that is dun you can do 5 Cuts @ 45 Degree Angles evenly around the circle and

you should have a nice 5 sided cone. Then you can cut the the tip of to where you would like it.

That should Give you a nice head of your Popper!!!!!!

Good luck! :headbang: :D

Another good thing instead of Foam is to yous balsa wood!!!!!

You just take a File and shape the Wood to whatever you want it to be.

I found that It worked just as nice or even better.

Poppers or minnows!!!!!!!! :D

I agree with tyrite. I turn balsa wood in the lathe using abrasive paper rather than turning tools & I then Dremel a concave face & cut a slot along the bodies length.

I glue a hook in the slot & paint the body & concave face.

All have to do then is tie in some maribou and/or other materials and I have a popper.

They work great on our Australian Bass.

I really do need to get the dash of a Bel Air painted today, but NOW I have to get the Dremel and the foam and the balsa and the glue and...... :D Thanks for the great advice and the awsome how-to

Take Care,

Ow did I Forget to mention that You can get Your Foam & Balsa wood @ most craft stores.

I choose Michael's Because It locally owned and they have a Better selection!

B)