Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
oxquo

Cottonwood seed fly

I tied this one up mostly for carp also in a bread flake fly, but I have seen a cottonwood seed fly somewhere with a bigger seed on it. I can't seem to find it again, the seed was very round and pronounced. I think they tied it in the same fashion via dubbing loop with the bunny fur but I can't figure out how they did the seed part. Has anyone seen the fly in mention? The seed was flat and round. Anyways I have seen trout go nuts as well when the cottonwood hits the water so I thought I would give these a try.post-13219-1209077787_thumb.jpg

I think I've seen carp go for cottonwood seeds too. Good luck with the trout, give the carp a shot too!

Ah yes hot June nights flat water a fresh hatch of cotton wood seeds floating in streams of white fluff. A simple cast to a ripple near by. A subtle sip. Followed buy 20 minutes of absolute drag burning mayhem! I love the cotton wood hatch! Be sure that you knot is good between you backing and your line. B)

Also try CDC rather than bunny fur. It floats better

CDC would be awesome too, thanks. Where I have found the carp feasting on this white gold is in little eddies and swirls, so I was hoping for something that would sink lightly as with the bread flake flies. Too much weight and I think it may look unnatural but especially with carp, I find their aim is a little poor on surface baits. As for trout, the floating CDC would be ideal. The problem I was trying to resolve was rounding out the seed but I think You helped answer that by mentioning floating. If I could get some brown 2mm foam and taper both ends I'll get both the floating of the seed and the roundness I need. Thanks for the help, I'm gonna go order some white CDC right now too.

I tie mine with brown foam and cdc. I like a lot of foam but I also do not tie it on a dry fly hook! 30 lb carp make dry fly hooks great for sewing!

True on the dry fly hooks. I like scud hooks for carp even for dries. CDC and foam sounds like a great combo, I ordered some on Ebay tonight and it should be here by the time the cottonwood flies. I'd love a 30lb this year. Last year I did a 27lb 6oz on My 5 wt I actually saw the arbor knot it was crazy. I am hoping to target mirrors this year that is mainly why the dry flies, normally I am content with buggers, leeches and tan Juan worms for My carp action. My secondary target is burbot, that one is a whole different story. Anyways this fly will be fished mostly at night so appearance isn't nearly as important as presentation, I'll definitely try some that float and a few that sink slowly. Maybe even bait a little with bread if things get slow.