Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mickalo

Looking for a similar pattern

I've been trying to find a similar fly pattern as this or possibly some suggestion as how to create a similar fly pattern. I've seen this used for panfish/crappies on small jigs and wanted to tie one on small jig or similar hook.

Any suggestion much appreciated.

post-14555-1209838022.jpg

just tie a wooly bugger pattern but instead of hackle put rubber legs across the hook shank like the way the lure looks in your picture.

Great idea, the wooly bugger is very similar pattern. I came across some material called "Flexi-Tails" that might work for the tail end. Guess I'll be doing some experimenting, but should be fun coming up with something similar.

This actually called a "crappie creature" soft plastic by Culprit. Thought it be fun to tie something similar for a challenge ;)

Mike

Mickalo, There are some flat rubber tails meant to twist when stripped that I have seen in Cabela's. might be what your are talking about. I don't know what they are named.

Another option is squirrel or micro-squirrel strips in your favorite color. Tie one on each side of shank with the leather towards the inside. Then split them apart with a bead, ball of chenille, spun hair etc.

Old Hat, I think your referring to magic tails. Actually I found something that may work better for what I'm attempting to do, they're called "flexi-tails" this is what they look like on a diving frog pattern.

IPB Image

Mike

Mike - You could also make the tail out of leather if you can get your hand on some that is thin enough. There are some leather tails on the market similar to these curly tails (sorry I don't know the names or who makes them). They can be made by cutting the thin leather into that shape.

As for the first fly, you can make that leg/body combination by tying in the chenille and the number of rubber legs that you want at the back of the hook. Then make one wrap forward with the chennille and pull a pair of legs out to the side. Make another wrap forward with the chenille and pull a second pair of legs out to the side. Make another wrap forward with the chenille and pull a third pair of legs out to the side...and so on. It may take a bit of practice, but it should work.

It may be easier to just cut the legs to length ahead of time and tye them in across the shank of the hook (90°) at the spacing you want. Then just wrap the chenille forward (going between the legs) at the end.

Just start tying and think of each thing that does not work as a tying lesson to learn from. You will learn a lot just trying to solve these types of tying lessons. Just have fun doing it. :D

Hi Ray,

I knew I'd get some great ideas from here! I think for now, I'm gonna try out these flexi-legs, only one place I can find them is at Marriott's site. I think they'll give the affect I'm looking for .... but gonna experiment with some other ideas too.

Actually what you've laid out is almost exactly what I had in mind with the chenille & rubber legs. So I must be on the right track ;) I was thinking maybe using a wooly bugger as the basic pattern and work from there and see how that comes out. Again, I'm just tossing around some ideas and experimenting. I've got to order some more materials this week so I'll probably go a bit nuts and try several materials.

Thx's again,

Mike

Note the the mono springs under the tails to keep them separate

post-2608-1209910057_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1209910071_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1209910088_thumb.jpg

that was an idea I was also considering. The woolly bugger is fairly close to the pattern I was looking for.

thx's

Mike

Try using chamois for the tails. You can cut it to shape and color it. And it is thinner and more flexible than the hide on most hair strips.

Deeky

thanks, I check out the site.

deeky, what are "chamois" ... never heard of that before ?

Mike

i know kreeltackle.com sells some curly tails...i agree with sniksoh