Fly Tying
dwiltshire

Down or Straight?

At the vice today, I was planning to tie more spider patterns, in preparation for the brighter weather and expected hatches.

Whilst seeking out my trusted spider hooks, I stumbled over some straight eye, barbless hooks I had bought years ago, and never really used...so decide to give them ago...

IPB Image

All my other spiders are on down eyes.

IPB Image

Come to think of it, I tie nearly all my flies on down eyes...

So I was just wondering what people thought about straight eyed hooks? Do people use them alot? Does the down eye change the action of the fly? Does the straight eye change the angle of the hook to tippet when you hook a fish? Does it mean the hook hold is less secure?

So many questions... :wacko:

I love to hear your thoughts on this one. ;)

I have tied and fished flies for going on 40 years now....In that time,I have used up,down and straight eyed hooks. Although anywhere you go,you will get an argument on this,and possibly some graphs and charts to go along with said argument,I personnaly have never noticed any difference in the number of hookups I was able to achieve, using one or the other! I am personally of the opinion that more "missed" strikes are caused by the fact that the fish wasn't COMPLETEY sure he really wanted the fly! These days,I only give alot of credence to up or down eyes as it affects the action or attitude of the fly...IE the "funneldun" style calls for an up-eyed hook because the fly sits (or is SUPPOSED to sit) upside down on the water.

The spider you have pictured in your post looks just fantastic with the straight eyed hook!!

JackScott

Agreed. Seems to make no difference. So if a pattern calls for a down-up-straight eye I don't pay much attention, just the size, style (the way the curve is made) and length of the hook.

I tye most of my soft-hackle and North Country flies on straight eye hooks: 1) I think the NC flies were traditionally tyed on similar hooks. 2) They look really good. And 3) I find it easier to make a neat silk head on SE hooks.

on size 20 and smaller i use straight eye hooks, just doesn't seem to close the hook gap as much as down eye. I think A.K. Best got me on to that