Bugs are starting to show up.

Theres your garden variety flies

IPB Image

IPB Image

Stingers are here

IPB Image

Have you ever seen sooo much pollen?

IPB Image

Then theres our kind of flies. By years end I hope to have a nice library and lots of naturals as well.

How many flies would this tie?

IPB Image

IPB Image

A Classic

IPB Image

Holy cow! EF 180 L?

You have some very nice glass there John.

As always, excellent pics. All are great, but I especially like pics 1 thru 4.

Those are some pretty smoking pictures John. I also like 1-4 the most, great looking shots.

Ashby

Hi TG.

180mm f3.5 but Tamrons, not Canons.

Macro lenses are (imo) the one area where namebrand vs 3rd party really has no benefit. All of them Sigma, Tamron, Canon or Nikon are wicked sharp and excellent glass. The only thing a buyer really needs to decide is how much working distance they want.

I'll use my daughters camera tonight to snap a pic of mynew macro rig. Im super impressed with it, love that RRS (Really Right Stuff) stuff.

Not really my thing but heres an attempt at something artsy, fartsy :)

IPB Image

I

Heya Will.

Yeah with a soft box and typically dialing power down anywhere from - 1 to -1 2/3. Sort of thinking about getting and trying one of Gary Fongs light Spheres.

I'll try hard tonight to get a pic of the rig. Its a dream for macro.

Other brackets typcially have the flash head out front and to 1 side or the other, which is fine but changes the weight and balance distributions, which can be a bear when handholding all that weight and shooting razor thin DoFs.

With the RRS bracket I basically have the the flash laying down across the top of the barrel like a flashlight and the soft box just slightly above and beyond the front element (take the hood off for macro).

Few new pics including one that ought to surprise everyone. I know I was surprised to see it.

First the rig for the curious.

IPB Image

A Macro lens for the most part is a macro lens, thats my Tammy 180 f3.5 mounted onto 68mm in tubes and the 1DmkIIN. The big though and improvement for me over last year is the flash bracket. Id tried others that allow you to position the flash/head so as to get an angle in front of the lens, but none quite like the RRS bracket. As you can see all the weight is centerline (as opposed to 6 inches outside to leftor right) and the flash head iself is nicely positioned. In practical terms that makes everything so much easier t handle and hold steady. The rail to ehich the lens and a nd bracket mount also helps with regards to a hand hold. Trust me its not light :). As an addded bonus because its on a rail I can mount it on my bushhawk should I choose.

The flash like most these days is full swivel so I can futher adjust it...straight out, steeper, inverse so from tere up to 11:00 oclock and so on.. I could even add my lens hood (5 inches more) and so on and so on. While alot of brackets offer a alot of flexibility as well, noce wuite like this nor do they seem as sturdy.

Very cool rig. I had some reservations about getting the RRS bracket, but am I ever glad I did, its pretty much perfect or macro shooting.

Any who a bug everyone should recognise

IPB Image

and something surprisingly cool

Cats eyes

on

nymphs

IPB Image

IPB Image

Wow! John,

Awesome pics! I liked them all but the parachute really grabbed my attention. Thanks for sharing the camera/lense used. I had already typed the question when I happened to see the pic. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hi John-

The RRS bracket looks great- they dooooooooo make nice stuff:). If your looking at the Lightsphere you might also want to check out the Wescott Micro Apollo Softbox- 6x9" Silver lined and very nice light modifier for macro work. I,m betting you'll be buying a second bracket for another flash soon though:) or adding a side Reflector to balance the light a little.

Will