Fly Tying
Scud

BWO Nymph and Caddis nymph

I was told GRHE tied with BWO dubbing is a very good nymph for the BWO. Does anybody have an opinion on this? If this is not correct can somebody tell me the correct nymph for the BWO.

What is a good nymph for the Elk hair caddis. I have heard possibly the serendipity might work. I would think a oliveish dubbed body with a small amount of elk hair for legs.

I have been tying for a little less than a year and am trying to expand my fly box. I know these are good flies in my are and I want them in my box.

Thanks for the help, Jeremy

A pheasant tail is a pretty good nymph for the Baetis species (BWO.) Other genera (types) of mayflies are also called the same thing by fishermen. A hares ear will be a good nymph for some of these. These are both must have nymphs. As they are "close enough" to imitate many nymphs. Pheasant tail nymphs will have a slimmer and darker overall profile, and the hares ear will be thicker and lighter. Both materials can be found died in different colors so by tying just these two patterns in different colors, you can imitate a wide variety of nymphs. If you do a little stream sampling, you will find that many nymphs show a much lighter color on the under side than the top. When your fishing nymphs right on the bottom, you would want to use an imitation that would match the top of the natural. When your fishing a rising nymph, or just under the surface, you would want to imitate the under side color. Emergers should be tied to show the under side color of the nymph. I use both a hares ear (fur) nymph and the pheasant tail to imitate the Baetis species. One for fishing deep, and one for just under or in the surface film.

PT's are good for BWOs and are quick and easy to tie. Where I fish the BWO nymphs are a bit darker and I prefer to mix a darker dubbing. Also, I use TurkeyTail fibers for a darker BWO pattern. I think you just need to get close to size and color--technique and ability have to take care of the rest. That's the part where I have trouble.

A good example occurred the other night during a sulphur hatch. My buddy ties a sparkle sulphur comparadun for the adults with a bleached and very blond wing, even though their wings are grayish. It didn't bother the fish. They sucked them up the blond wings with no hesitation. He caught more fish than I did with my gray wing flies. I think it's because his presentation is much better than mine. I nymph 90% of the time and I'm not real good at dry fly fishing.

I'm from the school of "It ain't the uniform that make sthe player."

you can change colors up like your thinking. here is a few samples of of flies i tied for caddis one the elk hair in tan which we all know what it is and how it tied because it's the grannom med brown sage.

all i do is change all the material colors to dun gray like dun gray hackle adams dubbing and and use a wing of natural dun colored cdc. to imitate chimarra aterrima and chimarra agustiapennis. a.k.a. the little black caddis

one problem with bwo nymphs were i live and fish they are to small to see in the roaring water so size 16 and 18 are better top fish then say a 20 or 22 bwo

but yes the pt nymph is better to fish the the fat nymph of the hares ear nymph

any ways hope this helps good luck and tight lines rhino.................

I fish both the hare's ear and pheasent tail during spring olive hatches, tying a few of the hare's ear with olive-dyed hare dubbing. As long as I do my part (presentation, drift, don't disturb the water too much), both work just fine.

I fish a # 14 flashback PT in an olive color (olive died PT) and a # 14 Hares ear in a tandem most of the spring. I fish this when caddis are in as well as BWO's. This year I have tried to keep track on how many fish I catch on each fly and it is almost exactly 50 /50. to keep things fair I will switch posistions of the 2 flies, dosent seem to matter.

This is why I an a firm believer if you get the depth,drift, and presentation right you will catch. Work on these things rather than changing flies every 5 minutes and you will catch more fish.

The bead headded caddis is a great caddis imatation as well asd is simple to tie. Bead head, dubbed body and wire rib. tied on a scud type hook.