Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Baby brown

In between workin on rods I'm going from one desk to the other between tying flies for this weekend and working on rods :blink:

Here's what I'm workin on right now. Some big (about 6" long) baby brown trout streamers.

Upper back is tan Neer hair, lower belly is white Polar Fiber, on top of the tan is some copper and gold flash, then the under body is some clear rubber tubing double wrapped. red thread used and built up at the head larger than normal to give a little red color to the head to suggest gills or maybe blood.

Gonna be strippin these in Mio this weekend.

IPB Image

Well done, Steveo! I like it, it looks lightweight and should be easy to cast. Give em hell!! :headbang:

Good Day,

The shape looks pretty good. I, however, would like to see more color like orange or olive. Just me... hehe.

Steelie

The little stocked browns that are prey for the big browns are more of a light colored fish when they are small and stocked, so thats why I dont use orange/black/olive for these, because the naturals dont have those colors. As you can see in the pic they are very light colored when they are dumped in and become prey for larger fish

IPB Image

I think you're right on the button Steve. Just like down here when they stock the rainbows. I'm not sure how long before a stocker gets it's color .. if the bait dunkers give them any time to develop .. but when fresh stocked they look like long skinny silver snakes.

Mike

When they stock them here they are usually between 6"-7.8"....normally about the time they get to be about 10"-11" they start getting that nice buttery brown trout color :) At least here on the Au Sable thats when they do.