Fly Tying
Seadog

Is this common?

Last night My wife and I were outside cooking on the grill. We have an 8 acre pond in our backyard. I looked out in the pond and saw a Candian goose struggling to get to shore. This goose could barely keep its head above water. As the goose neared the shore, my wife and I went down to check it out. As the goose got near the shore, I observed a huge snapping turtle clamped down on the leg of the goose!!

I know turltles will eat fish and things like that, but a Canadian goose?

It was an adult and was bleeding from the foot and wouldn't put weight on it.

they usually eat fish and young waterfowl. I would set a trap and get it out of your pond. They are said to eat their weight in fish a week.

Guest Big E

Meat from one medium-sized turtle, cubed

1 large onion, chopped

2-3 cloves garlic, chopped

4-5 potatoes, cubed

2 14.5 oz. cans of peeled tomatoes or 8-10 fresh tomatoes, coarse chopped

1 11 oz. can of corn or package frozen corn.

Brown turtle meat with onions and garlic in a hot skillet with a little cooking oil, (get the skillet real hot and drop the pieces of meat into the hot oil.) When the meat is browned on all sides drain oil and transfer meat, onions and garlic to a Dutch oven. Add potatoes, tomatoes and corn.

Season the mixture with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Add water to just cover ingredients and cook covered at a high simmer for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are thoroughly cooked.

At this point the stew is ready to eat. However, some people prefer to thicken the sauce with a whole wheat flour/water mixture. If you do this you should simmer the mixture for another 15 minutes.

Guest Big E

And if things go downhill for the goose...

~ 1 goose, 8 - 10 pounds

~ 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed

~ 4 tbsp butter

~ 2 onions, chopped

~ 1/2 to 1 cup whipping cream

~ salt

~ pepper

In a pan, boil the potatoes until tender. Drain.

In a sauce pan, melt the butter and saute the onions until soft.

Place the potatoes in a mixing bowl and add 1/2 cup of cream. Beat until smooth adding more cream if necessary.

Salt and pepper the potatoes to taste. Add the onions and mix until combined well.

Stuff the goose with the potatoes. Either skewer the cavity closed or sew shut.

Place goose on a rack in a roasting pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

Cover with foil and cook at 325 degrees for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

If you want to crisp the skin, remove the foil and spoon 3 - 4 tablespoons of ice water over the goose during the last 15 minutes of cooking.

;)

Big E,

Thanks, I had a frustating day and needed that second post about the goose. You made my day; now go make my dinner.

Conehead

generally a few turtles aren't going to be detrimental to a pond that's as big as yours. Sure they eat fish, but they are very good at cleaning up sick, injured, and dead stuff too. The fact that the turtle grabbed an adult goose might mean he can't find enough fish to eat!! The presence of large predators USUALLY indicates a healthy environment...