Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Scott

vice for a beginner

I want to start tying my own flys and would like to know what vice is the best for the money. I could get something around 60-70 dollars, maybe a little more. Or even just a good starter kit would be great. Also could you recommend a good book or video that could get me started. Thanks in advance for the help. tight lines-Scott

Well since your 15 (Right)?

I would suggest getting an EL Cheap-O something around 35-40 dollars maybe from Cabela's then buy a few Skip Morris fly tying Basic's Videos

You will also need Thread Bobbins scissors and hackle pliers and maybe a hair stacker so you will need to invest about 100 bucks anyway then all you need is hooks thread and material for tying the flies.

but you get the basics and once you have them gives a shout and we may be able to fix you up with a care package of materials.

OSD.

Welcome aboard.

Take a look here. This is a good review of vises on the market.

Vise Reviews

I use a renzetti traveler with cam jaws and very happy with it.

I have the DanVise Scott, about 80 bucks shipped to your home off ebay. The jaws hold solid on every size hook I have used, size 12 thru 1/0 so far. It is rotary but I have not used that feature yet. It is kinda ugly compared to others I have looked at but works very well for me. Also has good reviews, check them on the web.

Thanks for all the great help guys. I really appreciate it. I feel a little embarresed about spelling vise wrong, but hey no one is perfect. tight lines-Scott

look online at bass pro i got my kit for little $ includes tools and some materials to get started with the tools and vise are good enough. i tied about 4 years on the vise it broke i got in my griffin spider in today i love it. Not a bad vise for $70. But i would recomend a starter kit first though.

Scott if spelling was a factor on this site then no one would be posting....including myself wink.gif

I would kinda agree with OSD for your first vise i wouldn't spend a whole heck of alot of money right off the bat. Dont get a pc of shit.gif look at the ones in cabelas for around $30-40 and upgrade later when you learn what features you think you will need/want.

Let us know what you decide on,good luck smile.gif

SD

I decided I will start out cheap and and upgrade later. Thanks for putting me on the right path guys. tight lines-Scott

I bought the Griffin Odyssey Cam vise. I'm quite happy with it. It's not top of the line but it holds the hooks well, is true rotary, and its capabilities exceed my skills.

Down the road, I may upgrade. But that depends upon upgrading my own skill level first. OTOH, I may never have to upgrade vises.

For a beginner, this vise will take you a long distance into your days at the tying bench.

Cheap is a relative term...keep in mind these things are investments...

What you DON'T want is something so flimsy that even an experienced tyer would have trouble using it (hook slippage, or just being next to impossible to set a hook properly.)

Whatever you decide its best to buy it at a fly shop...

I know it feels weird to ask a stranger a bunch of questions but most people who like to fish are good people - if they wanted to be jerks they would probably have gotten jobs at the RMV.

15 minutes spent with someone who knows their stuff will save you time, money, and frustration.

I've got a Griffon odyssey spider which I payed about $60 for. It's my third vise, my first rotary and my cheapest vise in the last 25 years. I like it.

I would recommend buying the best vise you can afford and by all means make sure it's a true rotary vise. I've heard nothing but good things about the danvise which is just beyond what you said you're able to pay.

buy right. buy once.

mgj

mgj normaly i would agree with your point of buy right buy once,but i think the reason it's been suggested that he go with a more low cost one to start with is just for the fact that from the sounds of it he hasnt tied much yet so basiclly buy a cheap one to make sure that he likes tying and then upgrade.

I'm not saying your advice is wrong but it would suck for a 15 yr old kid to blow $100+ on a vise only to find out he dosen't like tying that much and not really use it thats why i say that.

Guess maybe a good question for scott is have you tied yet? and how long?