Fly Tying

gill and bass hook sizes

I've been using gurglers and pop gurglers for at least a year or so, with hook sizes 8 or 10 tiemco 5212 and 200r with good results. Recently I switched to sizes 4 and 6, it really made a big difference in the size of fish being caught,especially the bass. The fishing still has been equal to or better.

Do you show the same results with the changing of hook sizes?

The gurgler and pop gurgler have really been a good producer, especially with yellow foam and any color mix for the body , tail and wing material.

Have a good one

Pat Carroll

I agree the bigger size hooks (4-8) really get ya bigger fish. They always say, if ya want big fish, throw em big bait. I've been using a wooley worm/gurler combo fly, and it really gets some big hits.

2,4,8,&10,most of my gills and chinks are caught on 2s & 4s.although sometimes they want it small,thus 8s&10S.

Out here on the California Delta where I only fish for largemouth bass on top during the topwater season, I don't use any hook smaller than a Tiemco TMC8089 size 2. Here's a bass my son got a week ago using a deer hair diver I tied on such a hook:

IPB Image

-- Mike

I am tying most of my bluegill flies on size 10 to 14.

I find that a midge dropper under a foam flies gets alot of gills.

Those flies are from size 18 to 28.

Small flies work wonders at times.

crappie

Bluegill flies I'm using #10's to #16's.

LMB's, I've found you need to go big or go home. I've been using Gamakatsu Worm hooks in 2/0 and even 4/0. Take a gander at what the gear guys are throwing (10 inch worms etc) and remember LMB's are appropriately named. I either tie on weedless hooks or just stay out of the weeds. Mono does not work.