Fly Tying

Trout vs. Smallies

I'm not sure, but you would never hear Lefty, Gallop or Whitlock say "Uuhieee, that's a gudn. Come here Meeester Bass." and then kiss the MF'er laugh.gif bs.gif

Will said it right. It's the NASCAR of fish...LOL shit.gif

I like fishing for all species of fish, I started out Fly fishing only for bass.

But as I started tying I was fascinated by the trout flies. The though that goes in to matching the insects inspired me to learn more. Chasing different flies during the year. Starting off with small BWO and small stone flies. Grannoms and other caddis. Sulphur's, March Browns Green Drakes, Brown Drakes etc. Fishing for bass consist of a few streamers and some top water patterns. Personally I don't care which one fights harder, I like the places trout take me. They live in the prettiest places. I know a few small mouth streams that are beautiful, but over all trout rule !

Bass fishing is something to do between trout and steelhead season !

I play the hand that's dealt me.

I've caught trout on poppers, and bass sipping mayflies.

I can lip a large bass. I wouldn't recommend lipping a large trout.

I like a river where I can fish for trout at the upper end, bass and trout in the middle, and fish for bass at the lower end.

I fish for both steelhead and smallies regularly. But if I had to choose one to go after all year round there is no questions that steelhead would win my vote. I have caught a few 19"+ bass and never needed a good drag system to land them. You can't say that about a steelhead.

Without keeping track, laugh.gif , it seems to be 14 for trout, 8 for bass - with some anglers counting for both species based on their comments tongue.gif Looks like a trend headbang.gif

...they argue for the trout...they argue for the bass...yet the revolution continues unabated...

I'D RATHER CATCH BLUEGILL!

Rivers, streams, lakes, Brackish, Fresh, warm, cold, anywhere, anytime, and able to fight like a fish three times its size. Bluegill rule!

However, if I must choose which I'd rather fish for if not given a choice...

Bass. I like the toilet flushing slurp a big bass makes when it takes a bug on top, the canonball droppped in the water sound it makes after it jumps and falls back, and the fact that, on the odd times I keep fish, bass tastes much better than trout!

Special credit goes to any Brown Trout over 18 inches though, 'cause they are impressive predators, for sure.

on the odd times I keep fish, bass tastes much better than trout!

I can't believe you said that luvinbluegills. ohmy.gif

To me Bass taste like shit.gif

OSD.

I really didn't get Will's point because it was too subtle bugeyes.gif Being that he lives in OH might be why he doesn't get trout fishin dunno.gif

If I had to choose between em....I couldn't. I think I like fishin for both and well since I can, I believe I will cool.gif

To clarify I have both decent trout and Smallmouth water within a couple hour drive and to be honest I have done more trout fishing this year because most of the Smallmouth streams have been blown out the past month. tongue.gif

I hear all of these guys talk about how hard it is to catch a trout because they are so selective or whatever................... bs.gif

I also hear these same guys saying they caught some Smallmouth on plugs ohmy.gif or live bait ohmy.gif ohmy.gif yet you never hear them mention anything about catching them on a fly........must not be that easy to catch them.

I'm not talking about lake fish because I don't fish stillwater. A stream Smallmouth creates just as much of a challenge as a trout....sometimes more. Sure they might not be as "selective" but I would challenge any trout guy to fish the Smallmouth stream I fish and say it's easy. It's one of the rockiest streams I have ever fished and you have to get down into the rocks to get the Smallies to come out and play. Not an easy task.

Mooning-Smilie.gif

banana.gif

Lets see here.

What would fight harder a 8 pound bass, an 8 pound brown, or an 8 pound bluegill.

I would put my money on the freakishly big gill.

But since we are talking bass v trout. My vote would have to go to the smallmouth bass.

john

i've caught plenty enough stream smallies in my college days. had good smallie water like 15 minutes from my apt. Had plenty of twenty-something days. at least in this section of river, it seemed once you got locked down what they wanted, you could return time and time again and they would still be feedin on it. In my case it was white zonkers, black wooly buggers, and crawfish patterns.

Trout sometimes perplex me. Stockers are usually easy until they get smart after being caught a few times, but wild trout can be really darn finicky. what they want changed drastically from time to time, even day to day.

Most bass bugs require a heavy leader/tippet though, which kinda takes a lot of the challenge out of it. When you are throwing a size 22 midge on a 7x tippet, it adds the possibility of snapping off to the equation for an added challenge.

I enjoy fishing for anything that will tug on my line, but if i had good trout fishing and smallie fishing equidistant from me, i would normally choose the trout over the smallies.

steve

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Jun 9 2004, 05:59 PM)

I hear all of these guys talk about how hard it is to catch a trout because they are so selective or whatever................... bs.gif

you never hear them mention anything about catching them on a fly........must not be that easy to catch them.

Thats because you are fishing in indi-freaking-ana and those damn pellet heads your catching are dumb as a box of bass...er.... i mean rocks.

And the reason you dont hear us talking about catching them on flies is who in there right mind would want to spend all that time at the bench tying then waste those flies on a stinky bubba bass blink.gif

FTB laugh.gif

SD

Trout sometimes perplex me. Stockers are usually easy until they get smart after being caught a few times, but wild trout can be really darn finicky. what they want changed drastically from time to time, even day to day.

A lot of similarities between trout and women....

-sometimes perplex me

-really darn finicky

-what they want changed drastically from time to time, even day to day

Hummmm...

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Jun 9 2004, 05:59 PM)
To clarify I have both decent trout and Smallmouth water within a couple hour drive and to be honest I have done more trout fishing this year

He admits to fishing for more trout this year...hmmmmmm user posted image

We knew it...we knew it Deep inside a ph34r.gif secret trout fisherman lives laugh.gif