Fly Tying
ellet

Binocular Magnifier

I'm having some vision problems and can't see to tie anything smaller than a #10 or a #12. I ordered a binocular magnifier but haven't got it yet. Anyone ever use one, and if so does it work, or did I just waste my money? Will it work with bifocals?

I haven't tried those, but did try one of those "ring light" magnifier/light

on an arm things. I seem to loose my depth perception with that type of magnifier.

I got the most powerful drugstore reading glasses I could find, and they work great. Give that a try, less expensive, too.

I'm blind as a bat without my bifocals. It would have to be something that I can use with my glasses. I know what you mean about depth perception with the ring light. It's great for viewing, but hard to work with. The magnifier that I ordered is suppose to work over glasses. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with that type.

Jewelers use something like this: http://www.contenti.com/products/magnifiers/220-982.html

I've used one before and was able to keep my depth of field in check. It may be worth a look.

I'm not sure what you mean by a binocular magnifier, but if my google search was accurate, it looks like you picked up something very similar.

its possible your eye doctor can set you up with proper lenses for close up work.

i have my regular glasses with bifocals and another pair of glasses with bifocals and a different prescription for working all day at a computer.

its something to consider and not damaging your eyes any further.

Just got magnifier from UPS. Wow. At 10-12 inches everything is crystal clear. Bifocals not a problem. Will try to tie tomorrow, but at first glance, this is better than I had hoped.