Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Crossing with ID?

Tryin to find out for a hopefuly upcoming fishing trip if all works out ......

What kinda ID do you need for crossing over to canada and back? i know they changed a few things after 9/11 and heard you need your birth cert. and another pc of ID.

Is this true because i cant find my birth cert right now and dont know if i'll have time to get a copy before my trip unsure.gif anyone know?

Thanks

SD

I think a few derogatory remarks about the USA government in French should allow you to cross over just fine biggrin.gif laugh.gif

the best is to have 3 official IDs.... a drivers license, birth certificate, and voters reg would be fine. You can also just have a passport and drivers license and be good.

Basically take as many valid forms of ID as you can. More the better. Sometimes its no problem going over the border, other times it can be a pain in the rear.

steve

Well, I haven't been over since 9/11 tradgedy. But used to go across pretty frequently. Only needed a US drivers license. But may need more now. Not sure.

QUOTE (sandflyx @ Jun 11 2004, 04:44 AM)
I didn't think we needed Id since we own canada ! biggrin.gif

Shhhhh.. Thats a US secret..

I travel across all of the time - likely 7 or 8 times a year. You don't need a passport to travel in and out of Canada if your are American. What you need is proof of US citizenship. That can consist of a birth certificate, or voter's registration card, or anything else of the sort. If you're driving across you'll also need your drivers license (photo ID). That's it.

You should't have any troubles at all. Just make sure you don't say you're going across to "work" (those pesky work permits tend to slow you down) LOL. If you're staying for less than 7 days some duty limits apply as to what you can bring back with you.

Hope to see you up here soon Steve!

Ditto to what Pujic has said. I was just up there last week, and they required proof of citizenship. I had my passport, and simply showing this one item streamlined everything from airport security all the way through to customs. Seems like the ideal thing to have if you've got one. If not, go with what Nick has recommended.

Thanks guys much appreciated.

Nick if we dont get together in the next couple weeks we'll tryin make some plans for later in the summer if you can make it. wink.gif

SD

going through det/windsor or port huron/sarnia they are a bit more stringent, as these are the two busiest crossings there are and high points in security. Believe me, more the better, drivers licenses dont do it alone any more, need at least one other form of official ID. And have been advised to bring 3 as if the border guy questions one of them (birth certificates from some locales aren't very official looking), you have more to back ya up. Not being able to go over the border sure would ruin a trip quick.

steve

Crossing into Canada, I've yet to be asked for any form of ID, even after 9/11. Now arriving by air might be a different story. I've carried my regular passport with me since 9/11 just to insure I can get back into the states. I haven't been asked for any additional ID with my passport. A couple of times I've been tempted to take my government passport with me, but that might cause more problems than it's worth. I've been crossing at Niagara Falls the last couple of years.