Fly Tying
Dezod

Trout Life Cycle Swap

Thanks for joining Frank... and thanks for going BIG with the green Drakes. Were just waiting for 1 more.

Frank by later do you mean just before Christmas or just after. Please everyone who is in the swap let me know what would be the best time for a due date.

Looking forward to the swap.

C

After would be better. My mother has terminal cancer and I will be going back to Minnesota for a couple of trips. However it does not look like she will make it to the new year. But I will get them in before then.

Frank

Beings everyone seems to like the idea of later... how about if we change the due date until January 15. I ususally don't like due dates that are far away, because it just gives me a reason to put things off, but with the holidays I think it will be better. Unless we get another swapper everyone needs to tie up only 16 total flies instead of 20, but we'll wait a little longer to see if we get one more swapper.

Frank... when my Grandmother was dying of terminal cancer I prayed every day that her pain would stop. I know how hard it is to watch someone you care about deeply go through such an awful disease process. I wish you and your family all the best under the circumstances.

C

wernstriumph you're in. That means that the swap is closed. I am excited to see some new swappers as well as those I've swapped with before. Everyone the due date is January 15th for 20 flies each. Hope this turns out as fun as it was in my head.

i started thinking today about how i fish caddis during a day and what patterns i wanted to tie and i think what i'm going to put together will be alllright :ban:

This is my first swap so I'm pretty excited about it. I've got some cool ideas I'm going to use on a couple of the patterns. I've already started tying the nymphs. I'll post pics soon to show my progress.

Happy Tying!

Pics are great. Mine always look terrible, that's why I post so few. My thought was that this swap would be a great way to see a number of different techniques all together at once.

C

I'm having trouble taking pics of my flies. My digital doesn't have a macro setting and my son's digital (which does have a macro setting) won't focus on the fly. I've got some beautiful reddish-brown blurs in front of a nicely focused stucco wall! :rolleyes:

Well I'll keep trying. just so you guys know, I've got three nymphs done so far

Not that any of the pics I have taken have turned out all that well, but you might try putting some sort of neutral background behind it. I took a photo of a small BWO fly I tied and couldn't get any focus until I put a white paper behind it so there was nothing else for the auto focus to focus on. It might work.

Looking forward to some pics.

C

OK! So I finally got the camera to focus. Here's a couple of pics of one of the red quill nymphs Idid. It's tied on a Mustad size 14 nymph hook. The body is red midge tubing and is dubbed with reddish rabbit fur. The wing cases are also midge tubing.

post-17237-1226346208_thumb.jpgpost-17237-1226346224_thumb.jpg

Here's the Red quill dun pattern so far. I wanted to do something a little different than the standard Red Quill so I changed the tail a little and I used turkey biot for the body. It's tied on a Mustad size 14 hook.

post-17237-1226606469_thumb.jpg

Dezod and all the other members of the swap:

I will be a bit late in getting the bugs in the mail. I will finish them tomorrow.

I have been a bit distracted after a long battle my mom has 2-3 weeks left in her battle with cancer. Our family has been working to make this a celebration of her life; not a dwelling on her loss. I will be leaving to go back to Minnesota on Sunday, and I hope you all will have a great holiday season. We will be celebrating my Mom's job WELL DONE.

Frank Koterba aka Student4e

Frank

Absolutely do anything you need to do. Family first is the rule at our house. No worries.

C