Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Twist

The Best Hooks

Have you noticed them (Mustad) being a bit dull?

Have you noticed them (Mustad) being a bit dull?

Compared to most of the "chemically sharpened" expensive hooks, yes. Two seconds with a stone and they can be scary sharp. If I feel the need to sharpen the hook, I use an old diamond sharpener, and I'm good-to-go. Quite often out of the package they are sharp enough to dig into my thumbnail instead of drag across it, and I consider that plenty sharp enough. As with most hooks, the larger the size, the more they benefit from a hit with the stone.

I use Lightning Strike quite a bit and have never had a problem. We did several tests on them in the local fly shop and were extremely happy with the results. They are made by Daiichi from what I was told. Others have said they're made by Tiemco. I use the SE5 which is a Scud/Emerger hook that is a 1X Heavy, 1X Short wide gape offset barb on my Zebra midges.

Mike

http://www.thefishguy.net/hooks.htm

Try these, they are Kobe' but seem to me as quality as the diachi that i've used before. Seem more quality than mustad and they are just as cheap. By the way i have no affiliation with the fish guy or his website, i just heard about this guy from theflytier'sdungeon.com

He also has great beads at awesome price as well, check out the website www.thefishguy.net