Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pa Native

Small Stream Brook trout Flies

In the mountains of Virginia- Bead head pheasant tail, all purpose fly that fairs well no matter where you put it. Seems to work on stocked and native fish equally as well. Some of these natives even take strike indicators.

Subsurface I tend to use any old nymph. One the surface beetles and ants work very well in a small stream with lots of over handing plants.

On the whole I treat them the same as big browns where as I use what bugs are around.

I once saw a 5 inch brookie eat a large Isonychia, hook him 3 tries to break apart the bug enough to fit it in it's mouth.

Joe Fox

It really doesn't matter what you throw em. Natives (and ALL brookies in Ga are natives, unlike bows and browns) will hit anything, even if it won't fit entirely in their mouth.

I enjoy fishing soft hackle flies on small streams. Here is one of my favorites. I call it a PGP soft hackle (PGP = Partridge/Gold Silk/Peacock).

post-4573-1227457513_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1227457521_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1227457488_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1227457502_thumb.jpg

I enjoy fishing soft hackle flies on small streams. Here is one of my favorites. I call it a PGP soft hackle (PGP = Partridge/Gold Silk/Peacock).

Nice brookie you have there! :lol:

Upstream soft hackle works for me too, when fish are not rising and do not want a gold head. Or when I feel like casting a real fly instead of the weighted monstrosity. I use #14 flymph - Hare's mask dubbing, brownish hen hackle, gold rib and red thread. But most of the time I stick to dry fly. I am addicted to the splash of a small trout with big hunger.

A size 10 thunder creek minnow has always done best for me. There is nothing better than watching a brook trout fly out from under a log to take your offering.

Size 16 or 14 red tailed wooly worm, peacock herl body, Brown webby hackle, red wire rib. Brookies like the red. Futzer.