Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Twist

Bobbin Recommendations

Hey Guys,

So my cheap little "Made in Taiwan" from the Bobbin from the "fly tying kit" has given up the ghost,the little clasp that holds the tube together has come apart,and thus I will be looking for a new bobbin,I'm not in the market for the expensive Automatic Bobbins,just something that will get the job done,and that will last a while. Your help is much appreciated.

-Mark

Hey Guys,

So my cheap little "Made in Taiwan" from the Bobbin from the "fly tying kit" has given up the ghost,the little clasp that holds the tube together has come apart,and thus I will be looking for a new bobbin,I'm not in the market for the expensive Automatic Bobbins,just something that will get the job done,and that will last a while. Your help is much appreciated.

-Mark

LOL good post. I just bought 2 more new ones to add to my collection of various sources, all were made in Taiwan India China or whatever Asian toilet got the bid. Doesn't matter, I got well over 10 years out of each one. The last 2 I bought were from Cabelas, I'm sure they'll go many years.

For a basic bobbin the Griffin with the ceramic tip are wonderful bobbins. I have used the same 2 for about 4 years now putting out a couple 1000 dozen and am very happy with them.

Last I checked Griffin still makes their bobbins in the States and back their products very well.

Joe Fox

Ceramic is the way to go.

Yep, a $10 ceramic bobbin will work way better than the one from your kit. You don't have to break the bank on this one.

Guest Big E

I asked the same question not long ago and went on a quest for the best bobbin for me. I received a lot of responses and bought a few. While they all worked to some extent, they weren't what I was looking for. I finally stumbled across Rite bobbins and have stuck with them. They are on the pricey side but you might want to give one a try.

I asked the same question not long ago and went on a quest for the best bobbin for me. I received a lot of responses and bought a few. While they all worked to some extent, they weren't what I was looking for. I finally stumbled across Rite bobbins and have stuck with them. They are on the pricey side but you might want to give one a try.

I agree with Big E . I have many bobbins . My favorites are "Rite Click" bobbins. They are by far the best bobbins I have ever used. They are smooth working with excelent control with even the lightest threads.

My favorite have been griffin bobbins. The ceramic supreme ones. They have an adjustable one but I find it too bulky, but their regular is awesome and not too pricey.

I prefer my ceramic bobbin as well, but the funny thing is, I am nor sure why it feels so much better... Not sure the brand, but it has the "ball style" spool holders. They are round chrome. The ceramic is pink... That is my favorite...

Ok,Ok.. So I definitely want to get one with a ceramic tube then?(Just hope I don't drop it) I think the problem I had with this one is that I put a Larger spool in it,and I think that's what split the tacky tack weld(No pun intended ).Is there one that maybe has the ability to hold large spools,as well as small ones?

I have the Rite click bobbin and like it a lot, except it takes a bit longer to swap out a spool. My take on this whole thing is that it depends on what you are doing, if you are doing commercial tying and/or tying huge volume then a ceramic is the way to go. I have the TMC ceramic, my only negative point is that the tip is a bit fatter then I like. I tie flies for me and my friends, probably spend 2 hours a weeks making a few dozen flies. I always reach for one of my Frank Matereli bobbins. I like the tips and simplicity, its easy to swap threads, I have yet to wear a groove in it... I only hope that one day I will have enough time to be able to wear a groove in it and have it break threads.

That being said, they are getting tougher to find and cost about 18-20 bucks, so you can get a tmc ceramic cheaper.