Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mickalo

Streamer Hooks

I've been looking for some extra long streamer hooks, #2-#6 size range, that have heavy hook shafts that don't bend easily. The ones I've used before the shafts tend to bend too easily. Been working on tying some baitfish/minnow flies that require some heavy materials and need some extra torque on the threads. Can some one recommend a good heavy duty streamer hooks ??

Thx's

Mike

You could use salmon hooks. Those are generally pretty heavy in the shank. Most often they come in black which is fine for any water conditions so don't worry about that, I've tied quite a few buggers and stuff on them.

Daiichi 1750 (4xl straight eye), TMC 9395 (4xl straight eye), Daiichi 2370 (7xl Dick Talleur), Partridge CS15 (10xl Carrie Stevens heavyweight streamer).

those TMC 300 hooks like what I've been looking for.

Dhise, I'll check out those other hooks you noted

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it. ;)

Mike

Hi Mike,

Try the Mustad 3995A. Inexpensive and stout in sizes above #6. The proportions in the range of these hooks are a little off, but in the larger sizes this is what I go to, even above "higher-end" hooks. (Read as: flexible, yet strong... less carbon content=less brittle). A good heavy-duty no-nonsense big-fly hook.

Hi Rob,

someone else recommend those Mustad hooks too, but for the life of me, can't find them online at most of the normal vendors. couldn't even find them on eBay.

where did you find those at?

Mike

Woops!

That was supposed to be 3665A... sorry!

You can get them through www.cabelas.com or www.jannsnetcraft.com

The Mustad 79580 is pretty good too, I just like the Limerick bend of the 3665A better.

I use the long eagle claw cricket hooks found at wal mart they arent neccessarily heavy duty but work for like frey ghosts and flies of that category