Fly Tying
Claudia

Flies from the vice.

buzzersearch.jpg

Searching for optimal buzzer body/coating combination. UNI floss, UNI thread, nail polish, clear nymph skin, heavy gauge fishing mono, even moose hair. Enlightment does not come easy <_<

J.

Nail polish and uni-stretch for me.

Just got back at it after a couple months mucked up with school work. Thought I would start working on some patterns for carp. I have yet to fish for them but they're on the list of goals for this year. Based off of memory of what is out there for carp patterns i threw these together.

post-22999-1265956301_thumb.jpg

post-22999-1265956679_thumb.jpg

post-22999-1265956775_thumb.jpg

post-22999-1265956952_thumb.jpg

Just got back at it after a couple months mucked up with school work. Thought I would start working on some patterns for carp. I have yet to fish for them but they're on the list of goals for this year. Based off of memory of what is out there for carp patterns i threw these together.

I would kill myself if those didn't sink ;) How did you lock the eyes? Plain thread wraps or maybe som superglue too?

Nail polish and uni-stretch for me.

Funny, but that was my conclusion as well. Floss gives translucency, but two layers of nail polish will accomplish that as on any material. UNI Stretch is color stable and allows for thinner bodies (floss needs to be put on a layer of white thread or tinsel to work)

J.

I would kill myself if those didn't sink ;) How did you lock the eyes? Plain thread wraps or maybe som superglue too?

HA! They're dry flies... I swear! Actually everything I've read about carp flys indicates they should be fished off the bottom and that the carp tend to key on puffs of silt that a heavy fly jerked across the bottom may cause. I may have over done the weight a bit so for the next few I'm thinking I'll step down the eye/dumbell size and add some kind of lip near the hook eye that will cause the fly to dive into the silt and get the puff of silt I want. Unfortunately its a few months till carp are in so its all theory at this point. As for tying in the eyes I just used figure eights over the eyes with a couple wraps around the base similar to a parachute and they were more than solid.

Real treat to se so many cool flies posted!

I really like the buzzers, but have never tried tying one or fishing with them.. do you put weight on them?

and How do you fish them?

Bearhug C

Real treat to se so many cool flies posted!

I really like the buzzers, but have never tried tying one or fishing with them.. do you put weight on them?

and How do you fish them?

Bearhug C

Claudia, the buzzers are for stillwater fishing - the easiest way for us not lucky to live on the shores of Mörum to connect with a big fish. There are many ways to fish them, the most common is a team of 3 buzzers completely static on a long leader and floating line, with just enough tension on the line to keep contact with them. They are usually tied on hooks #10-14, but smaller (down to #20) are gaining in popularity.

You don't add weight to them in classical sense (no lead or beadhead) but you can make them heavier by covering them in epoxy or nail polish. When fishing a team of 3 you usually put a heavy one (epoxy) on the point to help you straighten the leader and anchor the whole cast and lighter ones (plain thread or biot body) on droppers.

Of course you can have it more complicated - the British are very good at fishing buzzers and complicating things (with a wink in the general direction of Great Britain :whistle: ), so you can find info on active and static buzzers and various kinds of sinking line presentation and what not, but this is the gist of it.

Cheers!

Jindra

pinky2.jpg

This mayfly is either huge fan of Barbie or has some persisting doubts about its sexuality; either way I have expectations on it on the Grayling front

Hi Jindra.

Thanks for explaining the buzzers so well for me. i really appreciate it!

PS. Love your Barbie mayflie!!!

Bearhug C

dude those look great! i think they would catch some carp! :headbang:

nice barbie fly jindara!

post-18259-1265991681_thumb.jpg

another try at some artistic flies.... how can i improve?

Hi man, thats a nice fly.

Just a few technical details....

The floss needs to be smooth and shiny. One thing you can do is burnish the floss, that is, rub it gently with a polished rock or a wooden burnisher made for this purpose. This gets all the lumps out of the floss and makes the body smoother.

Also the underbody must be very smooth and even for the floss to be so. The rule is, "Smooth underbody, smooth floss." So the smoother the underbody is, the smoother the floss is likely to be.

For full dresses, use a flat white thread. Black shines through the floss, so you definitly want to use white (use black for the head, or just use black laquer), like Danville 3/0 or UNI stretch.

It looks like you might be using 4 strand floss. Correct me if I'm wrong. I would suggest using a single strand floss like Danville or UNI,

it is easier to control and easier to get to lie flat!

There are a few more things, but basicly, practice practice practice! These things are hard but so satisfying when you turn out a nice one! :)

Your fly is really neat however. You obviously have a creative streak created for full-dresses!

Here is Ronn Lucas Sr.'s lessons for dressing salmon flies. Check it out, this website helped and helps me a ton.

http://www.ronnlucassr.com/

On the side of the website somewhere, it'll say "How to dress Salmon flies." Click that and check out the lessons.

And last of all..I hope this dosen't offend :unsure:

Jan

This mayfly is either huge fan of Barbie or has some persisting doubts about its sexuality; either way I have expectations on it on the Grayling front

Jindra, I really like your mayfly, regardless of its sexuality.

Nice effort, Fishyboy. Practice, practice, practice...

Mike

yo jan thanks for the comment! i was NOT offended in any way..... those are the posts that really help me improve my tying! thanks for the help bro!

what i was using was 8/0 red UNI and 8/0 orange UNI but you cant see the orange...