Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
iso18

i own one 4 weight rod,5, 5weights and 1, 6 weight

using beigger flies,about size 2/0 to size 8.Would my six weight work for this?Or would a seven be a better choice?I want a rod that can deliver heavy flies into the wind,but doesn't splash like a beavertail when landing on the water.Any suggestions.Anyone..............Day5 maybe???????????

shane

I fish a lot of Bass on a gin clear lake and have found that a bit of commotion is a good thing when fishing for old bucket mouth. I have never concerned myself with stealthy presentations for bass, even when sight fishing it has never been a problem. Bass are very aggressive and will seek out the source of the disturbance and attact it if it look anything like a meal. As for rod choice, I do all my casting from the bow casting deck of my bass boat and I have found that a 9' 7wt workd the best in nearly all circumstances I have on this lake. I am catching bass from 1-12 pounds and the occasional walleye and pike. Hope my experiences help.

I have a 7 weight and would like more. I'm thinking a 9-weight for those heavy wet bunny strip flies in the wind of our open lakes around here. Not so worried about the size of fish, but casting. Probably not so much of an issue if you are throwing all synthetics that shed water well. I have also never had a problem spooking bass.

For what all that's worth.

Deeky

I fish primarily for bass and bluegill. If I am fishing from a boat I like to have several rods (as many as three or four) rigged with different flys for different situations. I usually keep a 3, 5, 7, and 8 weight rod rigged and at the ready. The 3 and the 5 (or 6 depending on which rod I grab) will be rigged with what I call crossover flys, meaning flys that have appeal to both bass and bluegill, in a size appropriate for the rod (i.e. a smaller fly on the 3 than the 5). The 7 and 8 will be rigged for bass with, generally, big flys, usually nothing smaller than a 1.

If I'm walking I'll still carry two rods sometimes, but usually I just carry one rod and one or two boxes of flys that match it. I don't concern myself with matching the rod to the fish because I put enough pressure on the fish so that playing one to exhaustion and death is not likely to be an issue.

Don't know if this helps, or if it is even an answer to your question. Let me know if I can clarify anything.

Terry

This summer I started fishing for tailwater Stripers, which meant lots of Clousers on sinking lines with my 8wt. However, when I had company on the boat, I'd use my 5wt (as I only have one rod over 5wt). Overlined with a 6wt sinking line, I was able to make some reasonable casts with Clousers up to a size 4. With a floating line, I could get pretty decent casts with some crease flies and gurglers. I think bass fishing with a 5wt can be done, but you might be somewhat limited in fly size and cast distance.

Hi iso18,

A fast-action 8-weight loaded with a Bass Taper line will give you the punch you need to deliver larger poppers if you want to go on top, and the extra umph for those bunny-type flies.

When you grab hold a big one, you'll be glad for the extra power in the rod. Just remember to sharpen the hooks and don't do a hook set like Bill Dance or your fly will swim off (experience talking there! :wallbash: ).

I mainly warmwater flyfish from a boat. In my humble opinion a 7wt is the way to go. You will need to power of a 7wt to help drag that bass out of the grass, wood or whatever. Yes, you can catch bass all day on a 5wt. But, when you get into the better sized bass you'll be glad to have the 7wt in your hand.

Go catch a fish,

Gary

Catching fish on the ligthest rod possible is for me the most fun. But have a fast 8 ready to throw big bugs into the wind. Wear eye protection. And be careful not to crack your self in the head with a heavy bug. I learned that head part the hard way, my wife was along in back of the drift boat, and the guide turned so I was throwing straight over us, 7 weight with a double 1/0 Meatwhistle rig. You guessed it, I pulled up on my cast as soon as I knew it was low, but pop, right in the back of her head. She was a good sport, and only cried for a few min. but she has also never been back in a drift boat with me. Thank God I did not hook her.

chaulk it up to ooooops.

Cheers Futzer.

If you're going to buy a rod, get an 8. A seven would work, but the 8 would work better for the bugs and heavier lines. And depending on what kind of water you fish, a heavier rod will help keep a hooked fish out of snags and away from logs and such and out in open water. I haven't fished with anything less than a 10 the last couple of years, but next spring I'll be casting my 8's for smallies, but these are open water fish and hooking into a pike or muskie is never out of the question that time of year, so I don't want to be under gunned with a 6 or 7.

Hey Shane,

I think a 7 would do the job for you, but an 8 might be a little better. I've used an 8-weight on the New River, and it threw everything from weighted Clousers to 2/0 balsa poppers and Dahlberg Divers.

Playing average smallmouth would be more fun on a 7, but an 8 would throw really big flies and would handle any really big New or Greenbrier smallies you happen to hook.

John