Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RoyalWulff

Bulk Teal

Hey everyone,

I have been searching the net and have had a hard time finding a place that sells bulk teal feathers. I am looking for the barred flank feathers and I am looking for 25 grams. If you know a source for teal or gadwall flank feathers in this quantity I would be very thankful.

Thanks a lot,

Phil

That much teal or gadwall would be in the $100 range and that much woody in the $200 area. That amount would also be unsorted so you never quite know what you will be getting in feather size or quility. I can not think of anyone who sells that much because of supply issues and the price.

Joe

What is the major source of waterfowl feather? Some I think must be from farm raised birds (mallard?) Isn't there a prohibition (Federal) against trading in migratory game birds?

Migratory birds is a big area when to comes to hunting and trading laws. For woody, mallard, teal, gadwall, pintail and other various other ducks they can't be sold, traded, and I think even given on the flesh. They can be sold, traded or given as loose feathers. It is still always good to check local laws because they can be even more limiting.

Our prized flank feathers are not from farm raised birds, but alot of our CDC is.

Joe Fox

Joe,

At the risk of starting a firestorm (which is NOT my intent) ...

As I understand it, the feathers from "web-footed" migratory waterfowl, i.e. ducks and geese can be sold or traded without any problems.

However, when ya' start messin' with the feathers of "non-web footed migratory birds", i.e. herons, egrets, American Woodcock, coots, most shore birds, or etc., ya' can get into trouble real fast.

Bowfin47

Try Theriault Flies in Maine,he may be able to help you out. 1-207-365-4007 or www.theriaultflies.com.His catalog doesn't list bulk feathers,but he sold me an ounce of teal flank feathers a couple years ago and the price was very reasonable.

Theriault Flies are some great folks to deal with. Give them a call .. I doubt you'll be disappointed. I have shopped there quite a bit in the past.

Mike

Joe,

At the risk of starting a firestorm (which is NOT my intent) ...

As I understand it, the feathers from "web-footed" migratory waterfowl, i.e. ducks and geese can be sold or traded without any problems.

However, when ya' start messin' with the feathers of "non-web footed migratory birds", i.e. herons, egrets, American Woodcock, coots, most shore birds, or etc., ya' can get into trouble real fast.

Bowfin47

You are more or less right. Saying web-footed waterfowl can be sold or traded is a simplification of the MANY laws in connected to these birds. I am almost 100% sure that when going through the pages of the numerous migratory bird acts one of the items for the sale or trade of ducks and I think geese feathers to was it can not be sold on the flesh.

Non-web footed migratory birds and there is a HUGE list of them now is a real mess to figure out. Most can't be sold even species legal to hunt!

In truth, because of the crazy legal mess around these birds a good lawyer with knowledge in the area is a great thing.

Joe Fox

Good Day,

Frankly, as others have mentioned, you will have a difficult time finding an outlet that sells these feathers. IMHO, your best bet is to check with various sporting/hunting forums (like this for fly guys) up to an including clubs like ducks unlimited. I have found that a lot of bird hunters feel absolutely guilty throwing away feathers from their kills and will be more than happy to send you what they have. I have about three guys right now that send me what they can. Only one of them fly fishes, the other two are just happy the feathers are going to good use. I have enough pheasant and mallard to last a while so I ask for the more unique bird feathers such as gadwall, woodies, blacks, etc. I am sure you can find a friendly hunter or two in Canada with whom you can obtain feathers. I would strongly suggest your closest ducks unlimited club. Perhaps develop a trade. Feathers for flies they can use at a fundraiser perhaps. Good luck in your quest!

Steelie