Fly Tying

SmallieHunter's Smallmouth Fly Swap

Received:

Artimus

Flyfisher09

Remember guys the deadline is in 11 days. I will continue to photograph flies and I get them in and post them in the "Pictures - Smalliehunter's Smallmouth Fly Swap" thread.

Look forward to seeing them all! headbang.gif

Smallie Hunter,

My flies are done and would you pm me your address so I can send them.

I need to get them in the mail tomorrow as i am headed home to Montana Saturday morning.

Irish

Smallie Hunter:

I need your address also. Just need to put a bit of expoxy on the last 4, and get them in the mail. If not tomorrow then Monday. For lack of a better name, I've dubbed the pattern Mowatt's Minnow.

Popped them in the mail a couple of hours ago, along with a couple extras as thanks to the swapmeister. Sorry for the delay. I made them right after you announced the swap, but after your accident I wasn't sure if you'd continue as host, plus I couldn't find anything to mail them in...plus I hadda buy postage...then there was this earthquake...locusts...a terrible flood...

IT WASN'T MY FAULT!!!!!!

wink.gif

They went out in the mail yesterday afternoon. Not one bit of natural material in them.

Okay guys, here's the thing: the lead eyes I used were uneven, and it didn't occur to me to file them flat to make the eyes stick better until about 35 minutes after I mailed them! I used stick on eyes reinforced with Zap a Gap, but they are a little sketchy interms of hold. Don't worry, this won't affect their effectiveness at all. In fact, they are most effective at dusk.

Whitlocks Hare Sculpin

Size 2 Streamer hook

Lead eyes attached Clouser style

Red Hackle gills

Grizzly Chickabou Pectoral fins (Whitlock prefers Pheasant body feathers)

Rabbit strip as back (Olive, Black or Brown)

Rabbit strip as belly (White or pale Yellow)

You will have NO difficulty recognizing the strike on these puppies! The word jarring comes to mind. I've weighted them with heavy eyes to get them deep, and one of the most productive ways I've used is to cast just far enough above the tail of a riffle or rapid so that it is near the bottom where the pool below begins. The bass hit it as it drifts into the pool.

Ok, Im posting this up for Philly, as he's currently FTF deficient. Should have that fixed in a couple of weeks, though.

Mowatt's Minnow

Materials

Hook: Size 1 Gamakatsu Drop Shot Hook

Thread: Clear Mono

Body: Light Blue, White and Pink Fuzzy Fiber blended with Sparkle Flash/Angel Hair

Shank Wrap: Silver Holographic Tinsel(Wide)

Gills: Red Poly Bear

Eyes: 3-D

Other: Flex-Loc, 5 minute epoxy; Mother of Pearl Transfer Foil(optional)

Tying Instructions

1. Wrap shank with thread.

2. Tie in holographic tinsel and wrap shank past bend. Wrap back and forth a couple of times, trim excess tinsel then make several wraps over the tinsel with the thread

3. Bring thread forward and tie in a clump of Red Poly Bear about 1/3 way down the shank. Trim even with back of hook

4. Tie in a bunch of White Fuzzy Fiber long on the bottom of the hook just behind the eye.(see Comments)

5. Tie in a smaller bunch of the white on top of the hook(see Comments)

6. Tie in a sparse bunch of Pink Fuzzy Fiber on top of the White Fuzzy Fiber(see Comments)

7. Tie in a sparse bunch of White on both sides of the shank.(see Comments)

8. Tie in a bunch of Light Blue Fuzzy Fiber on top of the Pink Fuzzy Fiber

9. Build a bit of a thread head, and whip finish or whatever.

10. Coat the fly the length of the hook shank with Flex-Loc(see Comments). Let dry

11. Add eyes

12. Mix up some 5 minute Epoxy, coat head area, so the eyes are covered and

the epoxy extends past them a little bit

13. Optional-When epoxy is hard but sticky, press transfer foil on head area

Tying Comments

I didn't specify exact size on the bunches of body material. This can vary depending on the size and type of baitfish you want to tie. For this pattern, the bottom white and the light blue were about 3 1/2 inches long. The middle and side bunches were smaller, which helps taper the fly. Same with the thickness, for this pattern use a bunch the thickness of a pencil on the bottom, with sparser amounts on the top and sides. This is a basic pattern. You can tie a baitfish pattern that imitates a small minnow up to a large baitfish, such as a bunker or shad. The smaller and narrow the profile the less material you want to use. For a small minnow pattern you might just tie in a top and bottom layer. For a shad pattern, you would tie in more layers on top. I usually tie patterns from 1 1/2 to 8 inches using this style of tying.

Flex-Loc dries in a few seconds. If you like the shape of the fly, do nothing. But if you want a narrow pattern just pull the material back till it dries and your pattern will have a narrower profile.

Epoxy: You can also use silicone, Clear Pastic-Dip, or nothing at all, the Flex-Loc will hold the shape of the fly. All you need to do is use goop or something to hold the eyes in place.

Blending Materials.

There is an excellent step by step explanation here. When I blend I use less flash than Steve does. Mine is more 1 to 1 or sometimes a bit less on the flash.

Colors

I've found that pastel shades for the back materials produce more hits than the darker solid colors. Most of my baitfish patterns have backs of light blue, light green, chartreuse, bronze or olive. This particular pattern has worked well in both fresh and salt water. Accounting for smallmouth, largemouth, sunfish, rock bass, a trout or two, and pike. Saltwater - stripers and bluefish.

Fishing it

Can be fished off a floating or sinking line. Straight retrieve or, and this works better with a silicone head, like a jerk bait or soft plastic

I tied the deep blade for this swap I have used it as a crossover fly from the salt in deeper pockets in fresh water It works great like a jig stripped with a pause, eratticly or two hand retrived in slow water The only draw back to the fly is........ the Tungston in the epoxy makes the heas a little brittle, so if you hit a rock or the side of the boat it may crack the epoxy.

here is the recipe

Hook: mustad 34007 stainless size 1/0 bent to keel shape

belly :white buck tail

flashy: ultraviolet angel hair

wing: lt olive bucktail

head : epoxy with tungston mixed in

coloring on head : transfer foil ( applied while epoxy is hard but still tacky)

eyes: stick on silver

Bend hook about 1/4 inch behind eye to form keel shape, note all ties are in this small bent section just behind eye.

tie on mono thread just behind eye and add small clump of white hair.

Add a small amount 7-8 strands of flask and tie on wing.

wip finish and set aside

drink a beer

tie another it is more worth wile to tie several because it is a pain to epoxy just one sip another beer

mix equal amounts epoxt and add a small omount of tungston powder (epoxy will turn black)

apply to both sides of head and rotate by hand ( I put two flies in the jaws at the same time and coat both

as the epoxy sets up and is just stopping to sag squeeze it between thumb and fore finger to flatten out and give a broader profile. next quickly press transfer foil into tacky epoxy and pull off plastic backing leaving a shiny silver head

apply eyes and have another beer while thinking of the fish that it will slay wink.gif

Hopefully sometime next week the final three sets of flies will come in and I will get them mailed back out asap. I gotta say this is a very nice collection of flies with alot of different types of patterns, many of which I have never seen before. I can't wait for everyone to get theirs, they really are top notch. headbang.gif