Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishyboY

bass fly box recomendation

i need a new bass fly box...... i really like the slit foam inserts because you can reuse them and reuse them..... any good box with these or other stuff..... i would like to keep it under $20....... hey its the winter i cant mow any more lawns <_< <_< lawnmowing=my income <_< <_< <_<

oh yah i dont want the regular foam becasue i think large flies 6-2/0 will really rip it up

What you need is a BuggerBarn. They are the only box with slit foam that you'll get for $25-$30 (can't remember which). They are a pretty big box and will be perfect for your bass flies. You can get these at the site sponsor (J. Stockard)

Kalamazooflyshop.com has bugger barns for 17 dollars. That is cheaper than I would sell them for! I sell them for 20 bugger barns all the way!!!

I recently bought a FlyFitters at Old Florida Fly Shop in Boca Raton. This works the best of any I have owned.

I haven't seen them anywhere else and the manufacturer's site www.fly-fitters.com says they sell at lots of locations that don't necessarily carry the large boxes.

I like this one because the closed cell foam is slit but the slits are tight and the flies stay in the box till you want them.

Cost about the same as a bugger barn.

Old Florida will ship anywhere (877) 653-3567

look at www.bearsden.com

they have slit foam boxes in all sizes. I personally have 4 of them and love them.

i also want one that will fit in my vest. I really like the bigger boxes to put in the back of the kayak but i dont know how good they will go in the vest.

Bears den has those fly fitters boxes with their logo on them. The problem I ran into with slit foam flies was inserting flies with weed guards. Those can be a PIA and if you don't get the guard into the slit it gets shoved over and takes on that shape and doesn't seem to work as well. So I am putting all my bass flies with weed guards in adjustable boxes now. Picked up some clear Orvis boxes last year which are nice but pricey at 15.00 a piece which when compared to a plano box seems like a lot.

The only flies that i have had any issues with the weedguards and the slit foam were the commercial ones that I purchased...the companies must use a slighly lighter mono than i use on my own.

i also want one that will fit in my vest. I really like the bigger boxes to put in the back of the kayak but i dont know how good they will go in the vest.

Try the Crab shack form Cliffs. Its half the size of the buggerbarn.

I buy my own Art Bin boxes from Jo Ann Fabric and glue my own foam insert in for less than 7 bucks a piece total. These are the same thing as Cliff's Bugger Beast except they are clear. Much better IMO! As for smaller boxesyou can use the old 8mm movie cases from the Movie rental places and you can get them really cheap and just add some foam. I am also using plano Model 3200 boxes right now and they work fine.

I buy my own Art Bin boxes from Jo Ann Fabric and glue my own foam insert in for less than 7 bucks a piece total. These are the same thing as Cliff's Bugger Beast except they are clear. Much better IMO! As for smaller boxesyou can use the old 8mm movie cases from the Movie rental places and you can get them really cheap and just add some foam. I am also using plano Model 3200 boxes right now and they work fine.

RIGHT ON! Make your own. $20 for a fly box is too much. For my big flies, I like to buy a 1/2 inch closed cell sleeping pad ($8?) and plastic pistol cases ($4 if you can get them on sale.) Cut the foam to fit, slit with a razor, and glue it in. Humongous fly storage for a few dollars and a little work. The sleeping pad is enough foam to rig out a whole bunch of boxes.