Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Papasequoia

Lite-Brite

Hi all. I'm trying to get the materials together to tie a Drifter's Chironomid Pupa (Chironomid pattern). The recipe calls for Pearl Lite Brite, but I can't find it anywhere. All of the searches that I have done have come up with Pearl/Blue, Pearl/Green and Polar Pearl. I was placing a large order with JStockard (which doesn't carry LiteBrite) and decided to try substituing Angel Hair, which I have heard is similar. However, that also does not have a 'pearl' color. So, needing to place the order and figuring I could use it somewhere if it didn't work out, I ordered Pearl Purple. My questions are:

1) Do you think Pearl Purple is an acceptable substitute for that pattern? (If not, any color and/or material suggestions?)

2) Is there such a thing as Pearl Lite Brite?

3) Do you have any suggested patterns for that Pearl Purple Angel Hair if it won't work out in this pattern?

Thanks for helping out a colorblind newbie! Jon

Be creative, find a sub similar thats the fun of fly tying is solving problems

Sorry, I thought that the "beginner's corner" would be the place to put such a question. It is not as easy to "be creative" when one is colorblind, yet still wants to tie flies. I only see two colors in a rainbow. When I look at a paint chips display in a hardware store, it takes 4-5 cards before I see any difference in color shading. Like looking at a rainbow, when I compare materials I don't pick up on the subtle differences between colors/shadings/sparkles as normal-sighted humans. But I still want to tie flies. I just assume that I will have to be more locked in to recipes and tying instructions than others. You probably have no idea how incredibly frustrating that can be. I only asked for a little help on colors and materials in the beginner's section. Since there is no shop near me that has fly tying materials to compare, I have to buy everything by internet. That also makes it harder to "find a sub" without buying packages and packages of materials that may or may not be useful or comparable. I was just asking for a little help. Thanks anyway. Jon

Hi all. I'm trying to get the materials together to tie a Drifter's Chironomid Pupa (Chironomid pattern). The recipe calls for Pearl Lite Brite, but I can't find it anywhere. All of the searches that I have done have come up with Pearl/Blue, Pearl/Green and Polar Pearl. I was placing a large order with JStockard (which doesn't carry LiteBrite) and decided to try substituing Angel Hair, which I have heard is similar. However, that also does not have a 'pearl' color. So, needing to place the order and figuring I could use it somewhere if it didn't work out, I ordered Pearl Purple. My questions are:

1) Do you think Pearl Purple is an acceptable substitute for that pattern? (If not, any color and/or material suggestions?)

2) Is there such a thing as Pearl Lite Brite?

3) Do you have any suggested patterns for that Pearl Purple Angel Hair if it won't work out in this pattern?

Thanks for helping out a colorblind newbie! Jon

The ribbing on that particular fly is most likely to represent oxygen bubbles that float the insect. They are trying to get the flash of a bubble in the light without the ribbing effect. I think you will be fine with the purple as long as it is not too dark. However, looking at JStockards I think that any of these would work.

Pearlescent tinsel in the tinsel section

In the synthetics flash section

Midge Flash in pearl

Flashabou in pearl

Micropearl flashabou

You could also just call JStockards and ask what would be their suggestion as a replacement.

With that said. ...I think Brian (age 12?), was in his own way, just trying to inspire creativity as many have done for him here and you came off very negative in your response. Too bad.

With that said. ...I think Brian (age 12?), was in his own way, just trying to inspire creativity as many have done for him here and you came off very negative in your response. Too bad.

My apologies. As a newbie here as well as to tying I did not realize who Brian was or his age. Not that that is an excuse, but I just assumed he was some crusty old tyer answering the questions of a handicapped newbie by saying "be creative." I can only plead the incredible frustration of a colorblind beginner who can't find the color of a material listed in a recipe online and has no idea what might be an acceptable substitute.

For example, in today's mail I got a big order from JStockard. One of them was a twelve pack of Haretron's most popular dubbin colors. The olive and the golden stone colors look EXACTLY the same to my eyes, as do the lt. olive brown and the caddis green. And I mean exactly. Purple is one of the colors I have the hardest time seeing. I ordered it as a substitute because I remember reading that purple can look reddish like you would find on this type of a midge nymph while underwater (something I will never be able to see). I guess I was just looking for some confirmation that pearl purple could substitute for pearl in this recipe.

In any case, thank you all for your replies, and sorry if I sounded harsh or angry, Brian. I guess that I am the old, crusty tyer. Jon

My apologies. As a newbie here as well as to tying I did not realize who Brian was or his age. Not that that is an excuse, but I just assumed he was some crusty old tyer answering the questions of a handicapped newbie by saying "be creative." I can only plead the incredible frustration of a colorblind beginner who can't find the color of a material listed in a recipe online and has no idea what might be an acceptable substitute.

For example, in today's mail I got a big order from JStockard. One of them was a twelve pack of Haretron's most popular dubbin colors. The olive and the golden stone colors look EXACTLY the same to my eyes, as do the lt. olive brown and the caddis green. And I mean exactly. Purple is one of the colors I have the hardest time seeing. I ordered it as a substitute because I remember reading that purple can look reddish like you would find on this type of a midge nymph while underwater (something I will never be able to see). I guess I was just looking for some confirmation that pearl purple could substitute for pearl in this recipe.

In any case, thank you all for your replies, and sorry if I sounded harsh or angry, Brian. I guess that I am the old, crusty tyer. Jon

With forgiveness and welcome, it's tough, I'm sure to deal with colorblindness in a hobby that uses so many shades and colors. It no doubt is very frustrating. We are all probably guilty of venting frustration in this media at one time or another. It takes a constant conscience awareness to make sure that our frustration is not targeted at others. This is a wonderful site full of support and helpful information from a super group of people from all over the world. Unlike most sites I have never seen any blow-ups here and that is very attractive.

Again, if you just want to use the purple I think that would be just fine for the fly you're tying.

Hope you share some of your ties and input.