Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Leon Mark

Question about Danvise

I am still looking for my first vise and have been looking at the Danvise rotary and was just wondering what everyone thinks about it. Thanks LM

The dan vise has many fans here, and is an excellent value priced vise. As a starter vise, it makes a good choice. It was highly rated by the Fly Fish Ohio website: follow the link to read it.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%2...ica_danvise.htm

I have not used one, but more because I haven't bought a vise in more than 20 years, and there were none then.

I am still looking for my first vise and have been looking at the Danvise rotary and was just wondering what everyone thinks about it. Thanks LM

for about $20 more you can get an Apex Anvil.the Anvil will last you many ,many years.

I don't like the feel of the danvise and have questions about its durability and longevity.

However they do stand behind their product and are fast to resolve any problems you may have with it. I would suggest you try before you buy.

Fred

i have had one for 5 years and if i ever need a new one it will be another Danvise. never had a problem with it.

This statement by FFI, is one I've heard many times by Danvise owners. It implies that there is an expectation that this plastic wonder will wear out eventually. If this is the case, why in the world would you want another one? I have owned many vises over the years and I never had any expectation that they would eventually wear out and have to be replaced. Repaired, maybe, but not replaced. Danvise owners seem to be resigned to the fact that they will have to replace it at some point in the future. How many $80 plastic vises will you go through before you figure out that they add up to one Renzetti?

I'm not suggesting you go out and buy a $500 vise, but for $150 or less you can get a Renzetti or an Anvil. Both solid, relaible tools that aren't going to need new parts or replacement every couple of years.

Hi All;

I've had a Danvise for two years with no problems. For something made of plastic, I never have the feeling that it's flimsy. It definetly made a big improvement in my tying abilities and speed. Whatever you buy I strongly suggest you purchase something that's a true rotary. Even if you never use the rotary functions in tying(but you should if you want to tie faster), the ability to see your fly from all angles whilst tying is well worth it. If I ever need or want an additional vise, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Danvise.

Wayneb

I use a griffin odysey with the cam jaws. I like it alot and it has a lifetime gaurantee, with that said so do alot of others. I thinl the main thing is to go to a fly shop and mess with them a little bit. The one that is close to me even let me tye a few on them to see which one I liked.

I've been tying on mine for about 9 years now. It's durable. It's inexpensive, functional, not pretty looking but for the money you can't beat it. I've tied flies from size 32 to 10/0 on mine.

I have been using one for a few months now and I love it. It is hard to beat for the money, especially for someone just starting out. I agree with Old Hat, though, that the extension arm is highly recommended, especially for tying saltwater/larger flies.