Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kytroutbum

Best color for visible para posts

I have had problems seeing dry flies in the late afternoon-early evening on western streams and the WB of the Penobscot in Maine. I want some suggestions as to poly yarn colors for parachute posts. I've tried a bright orange and it didn't seem successful?

Randall Sale

Kytroutbum

Try half and half....white and black,red and yellow-colors that fight each other.Also remember that when using any bright color like white,orange,crazy ass green etc. you can take a sharpie to the top of the yarn before you cut it to get colors that contrast, making your bug easy to see in different light and water conditions.

For me that depends on the water and light conditions you are fishing.

I really like a bright florescent pink for fishing in or near white water.

In pools I still like white as long as there is no foam

I like black in low light situations

Finally, I know it is not poly yarn, but I have seen people using krystal Flash that picks up almost any level of light and seems to glow.

Hope that helps

C

black. really.

white, red, black, orange, yellow, black, pink, chartreuce, black

Seriously??? Is Black actually more visable in the water durring low light and harsh reflective conditions?

I never would have thought to use black but intend to test it out now.

When the sun gets low around dusk and it is reflecting off of the top of the water as it sets you can see the black. It doesn't seem possible, very counterintuitive, but it works... you should test it out.

C

Good Day,

Some good suggestions. You really should have a few of this and that as the light changes and so will the colors that can be viewed best.

Now... once the light is off the water... shhh... a green glow in the dark post. When I get a chance I will post a photo set.

Steelie

black. really.

white, red, black, orange, yellow, black, pink, chartreuce, black

Seriously??? Is Black actually more visable in the water durring low light and harsh reflective conditions?

I never would have thought to use black but intend to test it out now.

Yes, when the sun is bright and low, black oryoucan go a dark dun is the easiest to see.

All good suggestions here contrary to belief black does work quite well. I have switched over to EP fibers for my parachute fly's and the light colors work well the light seems to bounce off them making your fly easy to see. And if you like fishing after the sun goes down then Steelie has a superb suggestion glow in the dark I have tyed and used them nothing more exciting than seeing your fly disappear on a summer evening in the dark!!

It looks as if every possible color has been named, which attest to the fact that under different conditions (and viewed by different eyes) certain colors work better than others. When tying up parachutes, I include poly posts in off-white, silver, yellow, and blaze orange, might as well have a sample of each on hand. Polarized glasses alter our visual perception of flies on the water, so be sure to check the visibility of your flies with, and without, your polarized sunglasses.

I also like to mix poly and Antron fibers to add just a bit more luminance (reflected light intensity) to the post. You may want to experiment with the amount of yarn in your post, adding just a bit to make a thicker (and more visable) post.

And, of course, larger flies, like larger font sizes, are easier to see - if the fish are not too particular.