Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tmatt26

Two frog-ish flies (attempted)

I attempted a STP frog and i just made a foam frog popper. tell me what you think or what i need to do better.

post-19670-1233603565_thumb.jpg

post-19670-1233603727_thumb.jpg

I attempted a STP frog and i just made a foam frog popper. tell me what you think or what i need to do better.

I like them both!

On the first I might add a few rubber legs sewn into the body itself. You can get a big eyed sewing needle, and put some rubber legs through the eye and then stick the needle through the foam body behind the googly eyes.

On the second I would glue the body pieces together so there is not a gap in the body. Googly eyes would add an extra attractor this as well. Also, what is the silver material you have wrapped behind the body on the bend of the hook?

I like them both!

On the first I might add a few rubber legs sewn into the body itself. You can get a big eyed sewing needle, and put some rubber legs through the eye and then stick the needle through the foam body behind the googly eyes.

On the second I would glue the body pieces together so there is not a gap in the body. Googly eyes would add an extra attractor this as well. Also, what is the silver material you have wrapped behind the body on the bend of the hook?

The silver material is just lead free wire. i used it so that it would float with the back end down in the water like a frog, but it's all something I've been experimenting with. Will do on the legs on the first one. Thanks.

The silver material is just lead free wire. i used it so that it would float with the back end down in the water like a frog, but it's all something I've been experimenting with.

I gotcha. I would probably wrap the lead free wire under the foam in the back so its not exposed, but who knows the flash from it may act as an attractant... Like I said earlier though I like them both, they should definitely fish.

Nice! I picked up some frog body cutters from J.Stockard and am looking forward to making some of those.

Nice! I picked up some frog body cutters from J.Stockard and am looking forward to making some of those.

Attention all foam cutters. If your wife or you are into scrap booking there is a machine called a Gazelle. Its made for cutting letters and shapes in paper and will cut 2mm foam. You can free style any design on the computor and it will cut it perfect for you time and time again. Save your patterns on your computor and when you want frogs or hopper boddies or what ever , just load the foam and click. It takes about 30 seconds to cut 18 perfect beetlle boddies.

Just FYI,

Fred

Attention all foam cutters. If your wife or you are into scrap booking there is a machine called a Gazelle. Its made for cutting letters and shapes in paper and will cut 2mm foam. You can free style any design on the computor and it will cut it perfect for you time and time again. Save your patterns on your computor and when you want frogs or hopper boddies or what ever , just load the foam and click. It takes about 30 seconds to cut 18 perfect beetlle boddies.

Just FYI,

Fred

Great idea but at $430, I think I will stick to the foam cutters, or cutting them out by hand.

haha 430 dollars! nice foam frogs!! all look great but I like the ones with the 2 colored foam bodies and red mouth. they remind me of kermit! haha

No don't go out and by it for that . But if you buy your wife one for her hobby she might not care if you spend a little on a new vise or rod .And she wont give you greif while your tying if she's scrapbooking." Big Victory" (said in a Khakistan accent like Borat).

Fred

http://www.riverroadcreations.com/TieFrog.htm This site gives some extra tips on tying this frog pattern. I like to use a 3mm foam on top and 2mm on the bottom. Pay attention to the Green tips. This is a GREAT PATTERN especially when you throw it on shore- with weedguard of course and pull it into the water.

Be careful with good trout fly tying scissors, the foam will dull them quickly

No don't go out and by it for that . But if you buy your wife one for her hobby she might not care if you spend a little on a new vise or rod .And she wont give you greif while your tying if she's scrapbooking." Big Victory" (said in a Khakistan accent like Borat).

Fred

I guess my first step will be to find a new wife that scrap books more. :ripped:

Fred

I guess my first step will be to find a new wife that scrap books more. :ripped:

:hyst: Too funny!

-- Mike

i think you need to hide the wier a littel but i think you did pretty good

how do you form the foam for your poppers