Fly Tying
DSFlyman

How Do You Protect Your Camera?

Personally, when I'm on the water I do the old zip-lock within a zip-lock trick. I'm starting to think that something like the Simms dry bag might be smarter. Anyone come across any good and inexpensive ways to keep your camera from getting soaked (bad for your warranty)?

I use a Pentax Optio W30 and have nothing to worry about. Waterproof and capable of shooting underwater with both still and video.

This is the best approach for a fishing camera. I've got the Optio 43WR. Can't shoot underwater but no worries about dunking it or otherwise getting it wet. I've been using mine for several years now after killing my previous camera after wading to deep. No worries now and it's a pretty decent camera to boot.

I'd second the waterproof camera idea. Either that or an inexpensive P&S that you could keep in a ziplock bag. (the kind with the sliding lock are better than the kind you press on to close) I wouldn't take an expensive SLR fishing unless it was a paying gig, and even then, it would have to pay a lot. I was fishing Monomoy in a flats boat a few years ago with a friend of mine who was working on a book. We were alternating casting and shooting - he set the camera in a gym bag on the deck for a few seconds while we were changing positions, and that was all it took for a wave to come over the transom and literally fill up the gym bag. The camera survived the day OK, since the pictures wound up in the book, (it was a film camera) but I wouldn't have paid fifty cents for it after that. I can still see that Nikon sitting in a couple of gallons of salt water.

After killing the first two digital cameras, one by dipping it in a sea turtle tank, one by submerge in water while I slipped. I've always used my underwater housing for my P&S camera. Canon carries a line of underwater housing for almost all of their P&S cameras.

Now that I switched to DSLR, I cannot afford the underwater housing as they are too big and too expansive :wallbash:

I use the Simms Dry Creek roll top bag from my DSLR when on the water. When I take it out, I always make sure I hook the strap over my neck before I pull the camera out of the bag. I have yet to have a problem, I even brought the camera with on a week long saltwater wade fishing trip. If you are careful, you should not have any issues.

I have the Pentax opticW30, damn near bullet proof but this is how I protect it from too many bumps and drops and make it easier to hold when wet..

I had one of the sylicone covers but it ripped to easy then I saw a friend with a neoprene cover he made from an old wet suite...

just sew it to fit with an open end to slide the camera out and a small end to put the lanyard through.. the add a carabeiner to the lanyard end and then this is important hook it to something your shirt your vest or what have you...

no probs after that... you can let it hang and it is protected and ready to use!!!

just my 2c CDN

Another vote for the Pentax. Ive got the w20 I think, and Ive been loving it for the last 4 years since I got it. Before that I had a cheap 35mm that went into the drink so many times I lost count. It had been in the salt, fresh, froze, etc. Finally it gave up. When Im using my DSLR for gallery shots or magazine/web site shots, I have an Aquapac bag I bought for it. Was like $120 bucks and well worth it. Duane