Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MontanaBound

Drying a squirel skin

just went hunting today and got a squirel. was hoping someone could help me with the skin. i want to use it for my fly tying obviously but don't know what i would have to do to get it ready. any help would be great.

thanks

Stretch it out real tight cover it in a very thick layer of salt or borax and wati a week or so and take it throw it in the freezer for a while (3 weeks and it should be ok

Also don't forget to scrape any fat off the hide before doing anything else. If you want a nice soft tanned skin you may have to do more than borax it. I'd do a search on the forum and you should be able to find something.

I like Borax over salt. And IMHO it's not worth the effort of formally tanning a squirrel, especially for tying.

just went hunting today and got a squirel.

And uh....I don't wanna be a party pooper, but according my Ohio regs....squirrel season ended two weeks ago..... :unsure:

I like Borax over salt. And IMHO it's not worth the effort of formally tanning a squirrel, especially for tying.

And uh....I don't wanna be a party pooper, but according my Ohio regs....squirrel season ended two weeks ago..... :unsure:

Must have been a nousance squirl. Id have to take em out also. :j_k:

you are right squirrel season is out in ohio two weeks ago, thank goodness kentucky still has a season. no really me and my cousin who lives in kentucky wanted to go sit in the woods for a day and figured squirrel season was a good reason to. neither of us have ever been squirrel hunting before. we only got the one and when we went to basically field dress it and get all the meat out we saw how badly bruised.so no luck there.

That's cool. I wasn't out to call you out, but I'm sure you've seen alot of guys on the web posting pics of ducks, songbirds, whatever, shot illegally or out of season. Just looking for a clarification, so as to not have a misunderstanding.... :)