Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jjoel

My first fly. Let me know what you think!

Great job for your first tie! (A lot better than my first) It'll catch fish for sure.

Keep at it and show us your progress.

Thanks for posting.

You're off to a good start, your fly will catch fish. My first two Woolly Buggers looked about the same. You should use a different hackle I think. J Stockard has a Woolly Bugger hackle that works great for on this pattern. As you do more they'll only get better. I've been told about twenty-four should do the trick. I have also watched this video about a dozen or so times to get a better idea on tying buggers.

http://learnflytying.co.uk/category/beginners-lesson-12/

Have fun and don't get frustrated. Just remember "Although a bug looks ugly and scary to us, a fish sees a beautiful free meal."

good looking first bugger like others have said practice makes perfect, and you get a little faster too which is just a added benefit of practice

Your fly looks great to be your first... The techinque is good. I have been told that if you have good techinque then you can perfect your materials and measurements. Keep up the good work

Nice work! Be sure and keep that fly in a safe place and don't ever use it. Hide it and forget about it, and then in a month or two, dig it out and see how much you've improved. :rolleyes:

That's a good idea, but keep it in a safe place! I didn't do that with my first fly, but I can remember it clearly. A size 12 black and peacock spider - but lets get back to topic, great fly!